Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slightly different fog light thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default slightly different fog light thread

Ok, after several different grilles and fogs |I've decided that since people in this country are apparently incapable of driving with the high beams off and since roads are hardly illuminated, I'm going to reinstall my PIAA driving lights instead of the stock fog lights.

The way I want them to work is, if I turn on the fogs but the low beams are on the driving lights stay off, but if I turn the high beams on the driving lights turn on. Basically the opposite of the way they work now. That way I can drive with just my low beams on but if some imbecile with his led bar on blinds me I can flash the high beams together with the driving lights, or if I'm driving a bit fast in a particularly dark highway or road I can turn my high beams on together with the driving lights and have some long distance vision. If another car comes I just go back to low beams and the driving lights shut off.

I also want to retain use of the stock fog light switch, so the driving lights stay off all the time unless the fog light switch is activated.

I'd rather make my own wiring, so I figure if I tap into the high beam signal wire instead of the low beam, the fog light operation should be reversed and work like I want. Am I wrong?

All of the instructions I've found are to keep the fog lights on regardless of whether you're running high or low beams, but I don't want to blind people by having the driving lights on with the low beams, I want that disabled.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:41 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

If it were me, I would install a relay tapping in to the high beams to power the coil and just run fused wire from the battery to power the lights. I did see where you wanted to use the factory wiring, but does the PIAA lights draw more amperage than the factory fogs? If so you will melt the stock wiring.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, I think I'll do that'They do draw more power. I have the PIAA wiring kit so I guess I'll use that and just tap into the high beams
Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

If you don't care that they ALWAYS work with the high beams, then that is a pretty simple wiring job, like Dragul said. If you want to incorporate the switch, that makes it more complicated.

I did it similarly on my old Turbo Coupe (driving lights came on with the high beams via a relay, but the fog light switch could still be used to switch them on or off). It's not hard to do- to be honest I think when I did mine, I just used two relays. Jumper wire from the high beam to the first relay which was activated by the fog light switch, which when switched on sent power to the second relay that powered the lights from the battery. It shouldn't be too hard to do if you really want to do it that way.