Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

6th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Rggonz

Default 6th Gear

On sunday I got my new 2017 gt pp with 2 miles and today while I was driving home in 6th gear I noticed some weird metal noises coming from the gear box. It is very hard to explain but it only happens on that gear. The car has now 100 miles and just wanted to know if this is normal or it would go away within time.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Let your dealer listen to it since it's BRAND NEW!!
Old 06-18-2017, 06:14 PM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

I got my 2017 GT manual 3 weeks ago, I don't hear any sounds like that! The only sound I hear is changing gears 1-2-3-4 making thump sound when I put it in gear do you hear that also?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Wotfun

Default 5.0 6 speed - noise in 6th gear

Hey. New owner here. Got my 2017 gt with performance package and manual transmission on 7/15/17. Love it! But...as someone else mentioned, my wife and I noticed an odd metallic sort of rattle sound. It only happens in 6th gear when the drive train isn't under much load. Like when driving on the interstate and going down hill. I took it to the dealer and they didn't hear the noise. Admittedly, it's not very loud. But, it is there. Maybe it's normal? Maybe it'll go away on its own? Currently have a little over 1k miles. Has anyone got more information on this issue?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Wotfun

Originally Posted by Rggonz
On sunday I got my new 2017 gt pp with 2 miles and today while I was driving home in 6th gear I noticed some weird metal noises coming from the gear box. It is very hard to explain but it only happens on that gear. The car has now 100 miles and just wanted to know if this is normal or it would go away within time.
I just bought a new Mustang GT 6 speed and noticed the same noise. Did you get a resolution re the noise you were hearing?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Should NOT hear any metallic sounds from transmission, take it to dealer ASAP
Old 07-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Wotfun

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Should NOT hear any metallic sounds from transmission, take it to dealer ASAP
Thanks. I had the dealer drive the car but they didn't notice any unusual noises. I'm not sure it's coming from the transmission. It's just an odd metallic sort of thumping sound that I only hear in 6th gear when the drive isn't under any significant load. It might just be something lose. Maybe a heat shield or something. It's just an odd sound.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wotfun
Thanks. I had the dealer drive the car but they didn't notice any unusual noises. I'm not sure it's coming from the transmission. It's just an odd metallic sort of thumping sound that I only hear in 6th gear when the drive isn't under any significant load. It might just be something lose. Maybe a heat shield or something. It's just an odd sound.

If you know how or when it does it, you drive the car with the tech and show him.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Wotfun

Originally Posted by darkmach1
If you know how or when it does it, you drive the car with the tech and show him.
That's a good idea. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 PM
DmitriK

Make an audio recording?