Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Holding RPMs on clutch press and gas release

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Semper.Iratus

Default Holding RPMs on clutch press and gas release

so here's my first stupid question. My ride is doing this thing, it's more noticeable in 1st and 2nd whole driving when and shifting like 4K rpm, when I push in the clutch and let off the gas pedal you can see the RPMs fall instantly to around 3k and then it will hang at 3k despite haveing the clutch in and no gas. I don't know if this is some kind of conveiniance thing or what but it's real annoying. I'm used to a car dropping all the way to 700-800 the second you push in clutch and release. Is this a normal thing, a setting somewhere, and computer lag that can be fixed with a chip? Thanks in advance

David
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Semper.Iratus

I should also mention it only hangs for like 5 seconds and the. It will fall like normal.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I think it's done to reduce emissions??
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Exactly, it's for emissions reasons. I read an article a "bunch" of years ago. Abrupt closing of the throttle, as it while shifting gears on a manual transmission, increases certain emissions. It's been a long time but I'm thinking oxides of nitrogen? Don't hold me to that through.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:51 AM
Semper.Iratus

Fair enough... thanks for the info!!!! I'm starting to get used to it.... anyway to get rid of it? Can it be tuned out? Or maybe one of those pedal commander to preserve the warranty?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Semper.Iratus
Fair enough... thanks for the info!!!! I'm starting to get used to it.... anyway to get rid of it? Can it be tuned out? Or maybe one of those pedal commander to preserve the warranty?
You will get used to it. My last manual transmission car, a Honda, did the same thing. It bugged the heck out of me at first but eventually got to where I didn't notice it most of the time but there were still moments. I do understand your frustration though. I too kind of pride myself in making smooth shifts and this little "feature" definitely makes that harder to do.

As for any way to get rid of it? The only thing I can think of is talk to a tuner. They might e able to help you with it but I've never heard anyone else comment on it one way or the other. If you do talk to a tuner about this, please let us know what they said.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Semper.Iratus

Thanks Steve,

you ou hit the nail on the head!! lol I have found that while driving like a normal human being if I shift as leasurly as possible my shift are smooth. Gonna do asking around and see what I can find. Glad I'm not the only one who's pride was a bit hurt by this feature making me look like a high school kid with his first manual lol!
Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Hokey

I just bought a 2017 Mustang v6 manual and noticed the same thing. I've been driving a 2012 Mazda 6 manual for the past 5 years and it is very smooth in comparison. I'm already getting used to it but it is a little annoying. Do let us know if you find anything out about it.