Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Getting 2017 auto GT premium tomorrow, bunch of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:19 AM
ZXMustang

Default Getting 2017 auto GT premium tomorrow, bunch of questions.

Hey all. Im getting a new mustang tomorrow. 2017 GT premium auto with the 3.15 gears. I have been out of the mustang game for a while. Im looking for some info for mods and tuning. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Who does the best mail order tunes? AED, Lund or who else?

2. People still doing the FRPP K springs to the S550? Im looking for a 1" drop with factory feel, not super stiff.

3. LCAs and UCA still need to be swapped out on these? I assume no since now its not a solid axle design anymore??

4. Should I swap the 3.15s out for a 3.73 or 4.10 gear? Or too much? The car will be drag raced here and there, but mostly street driving.

5. Why no SVE drag wheels for this gen car?? I only see the racestars on the LMR site.

Thanks in advance people. Cant wait to get it. Its loaded.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:52 AM
JimC

For an automatic, you really don't want to go to the 3.73 or 4.10 - first gear is really short on this transmission and it will shift up very quickly when you take off. Very different from the 5R55 transmission in the 2005-10 cars.

Correct, not a solid axle set up so the lca and uca is different. There are some bushings you can change on the cradle to tighten up the rear end.

The offset is very different on the S550 so that is probably why you aren't seeing many options yet for drag wheels.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I'd leave it alone but if you insist, go with the Ford Racing tunes, maintain warranty. Ford Racing again for the suspension, check their website. The factory upgrade is 3:55 and I wouldn't go any lower for an automatic.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZXMustang
Hey all. Im getting a new mustang tomorrow. 2017 GT premium auto with the 3.15 gears. I have been out of the mustang game for a while. Im looking for some info for mods and tuning. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Who does the best mail order tunes? AED, Lund or who else?

2. People still doing the FRPP K springs to the S550? Im looking for a 1" drop with factory feel, not super stiff.

3. LCAs and UCA still need to be swapped out on these? I assume no since now its not a solid axle design anymore??

4. Should I swap the 3.15s out for a 3.73 or 4.10 gear? Or too much? The car will be drag raced here and there, but mostly street driving.

5. Why no SVE drag wheels for this gen car?? I only see the racestars on the LMR site.

Thanks in advance people. Cant wait to get it. Its loaded.
If you are looking for lowering that will still give you a smooth ride on the road I suggest you consider the Whiteline Lowering Springs:

https://whitelineperformance.com/for...kit-wsk-frd006

They are currently 10% off and offer the following lowering heights and rates:

Front Lowering Height: 35mm

Rear Lowering Height: 30mm

Front Spring Rate: 202 in/lbs

Rear Spring Rate: 673 in/lbs
Old 05-25-2017, 08:31 AM
ZXMustang

So I got the car. Here are my impressions.

Like I thought, its going to need springs. The car is not a PP car, so it has some body roll issues. The power is awesome. But in normal mode, the shifting is lazy as I also expected. Im hoping a lund auto tune will make this thing shift hard and be able to chirp the tires. The interior is MONEY!!! Love all the premium touches. I was using the heated seats this morning. Love the Sync 3 and apple carplay. Im excited for being able to DD this car.

FYI I traded in a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE for it. Before you all freak out, it was horrible on the road. WAY too track focused for daily driving duty. But it was sharp as a razor blade and every bit what chevy designed it to be. I will miss it, but not for being my daily. Too bad it didnt work out. If I had gotten a 2SS non 1LE, I'd probably still have it. The camaro is an awesome platform. But this mustang is a great gap filler for what I needed at this moment in my life. My kids love it too.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Like I thought, its going to need springs. The car is not a PP car, so it has some body roll issues. The power is awesome. But in normal mode, the shifting is lazy as I also expected. Im hoping a lund auto tune will make this thing shift hard and be able to chirp the tires. The interior is MONEY!!! Love all the premium touches. I was using the heated seats this morning. Love the Sync 3 and apple carplay. Im excited for being able to DD this car.

FYI I traded in a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE for it. Before you all freak out, it was horrible on the road. WAY too track focused for daily driving duty. But it was sharp as a razor blade and every bit what chevy designed it to be. I will miss it, but not for being my daily. Too bad it didnt work out. If I had gotten a 2SS non 1LE, I'd probably still have it. The camaro is an awesome platform. But this mustang is a great gap filler for what I needed at this moment in my life. My kids love it too.

The Ford Racing street suspension is the exact same suspension in the PP 6-speed standard Mustang 5.0. Lowers the car a little and provides a great ride. The track suspension is awesome but may approach the same level as the 1LE.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Whiteline
Former Sponsor

The Whiteline front and rear sway bar kit is a great solution for body roll and come with beefier end links:

Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit with End Links and Bushings for the 2015-2017 S550 Mustang.

https://whitelineperformance.com/for...bar-kit-bfk006

For lowering that still retains DD road comfort go with the Whiteline lowering springs:

Whiteline Lowering Springs for the 2015-2017 S550 Ford Mustang GT.

https://whitelineperformance.com/for...kit-wsk-frd006

We are currently running a 10% Off Sitewide Sale. Call (909)476-2860 and ask for the additional forum discount. We cannot publish what that is so call in for more information. Please do not share the forum discount openly or we will have to stop providing it.

There parts are also available through AmericanMuscle and I believe they also offer a forum discount but you have to PM them in regards to that.

Thanks!

Last edited by Whiteline; 05-25-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

This is as interesting take. I haven't had a chance to drive a 2016+ SS, but was wondering how they were. Had a v6 rental vert. Can't see out of it, and I loved it on the open road and hated it in the city.

The newer GT can be driven for 9 hours in a day and you don't feel like it's beat you up, which I couldn't do in any mustang previous to 2015. There is clearly some compromise in the handling to obtain the comfortable ride, but this car still surprises me with it's handling from time to time.

A couple things I've learned from my 2015 non-PP:
The stock tires are horrible. Replaced them at 20K miles with high-perf summer tires and the car has much more grip.

Sport mode wakes up the car. I don't know if it's just the shift algorithm keeping in the powerband better, but it seems like night and day. Even if you shift conservatively, the car still seems more powerful.

As mentioned, the gearing in the auto is shorter than in years past, so the usual ratios don't work as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:42 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Eibach pro kit, BMR cradle lockout and vertical links. Pretty much all you need. If you want the front a little lower you can get the BMR springs or eibach sportlines
Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Id get a Lund flex fuel tune if you have E85 near you. It ads power and really firms up those lazy shifts. As far as wheels are concerned. You can run S197 or older wheels on the S550. They will all fit and can be had on the cheap. I believe 2000ish cobra wheels are the widest and lightest.