Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ford Racing X302 piston seizure

Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM
StangNator

Default Ford Racing X302 piston seizure

Hi,

My name is Andy and I have a 67 Mustang Coupe. It is powered by a Ford Racing X302 crate engine which recently run into a piston seizure. I noticed that the pistons are from Mahle with part number SBF600040FPF. They have an oversize of 0.040“.
My machine shop told me one cylinder needs to be bored to the next oversize, the damage cannot be fixed by just honing. With the part number from the piston I can't find any parts for sale so I am struggling to find out if Mahle offers this piston with .060“. Does anybody know if that part number is a Ford specific one and on the market they are sold with a different one. And are they available in .060?

Regards
Andy
Old 05-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Honestly, I'd recommend looking at sourcing a new block. 0.040" is the largest overbore most people recommend with SBFs due to cooling issues as the cylinder wall thickness decreases.

I understand 5.0 blocks may not be in ready supply in Bavaria, but if you roll the dice and try to punch yours out to .060, you may end up with a motor that constantly overheats.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:15 PM
StangNator

The block is a F1SE one, the last one Ford produced with the thickest cylinder walls. I feel ok by going to 0.060, but a second choice would be a cylinder sleeve if no further oversize is offered by Mahle. So the initial question remains, does anybody know where this piston can be bought? My local dealers who sell Mahle stuff were not able to find them by the number I found on the piston. And the web search lists only eBay offers already sold. I have the feeling that they are labeled with a Ford specific ID and the ones for sale on Summit or anywhere else might be the same but with a different ID. But I need a verification. Mahle itself revises me to local distributors but as said they can't find the piston with that ID. <br />​​​​​​
Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you're set on punching it out, why are you stuck on the same Mahle part #? Go pick up a set of something that you can get in .060" over that will give you the compression ratio you want, and this becomes a non-issue.

(you do realize you need to overbore all of the cylinders to match, right?)
Old 05-28-2017, 04:10 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Why did the piston seize??
Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 PM
StangNator

Originally Posted by StangNator
The block is a F1SE one, the last one Ford produced with the thickest cylinder walls. I feel ok by going to 0.060, but a second choice would be a cylinder sleeve if no further oversize is offered by Mahle. So the initial question remains, does anybody know where this piston can be bought? My local dealers who sell Mahle stuff were not able to find them by the number I found on the piston. And the web search lists only eBay offers already sold. I have the feeling that they are labeled with a Ford specific ID and the ones for sale on Summit or anywhere else might be the same but with a different ID. But I need a verification. Mahle itself revises me to local distributors but as said they can't find the piston with that ID. <br />​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Starfury
If you're set on punching it out, why are you stuck on the same Mahle part #? Go pick up a set of something that you can get in .060" over that will give you the compression ratio you want, and this becomes a non-issue.

(you do realize you need to overbore all of the cylinders to match, right?)
I am stuck to the part number because it indicates the product line:

Like @Summit
SBF600030I26 -> .030
SBF600040I26 -> .040
So there might be some SBF600060FPF out there I have not found yet.

And no, I don't need to overbore all cylinder if I make the weight equal the 0.040 ones. Not the best solution but something I can afford.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:50 PM
StangNator

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
Why did the piston seize??
This is still not clear. Maybe an oil problem. Water temp was ok, oil pressure was ok, too. No white smoke out of the exhaust while it happened.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:34 AM
StangNator

I actually found .060 Mahle pistons (http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/mahle...-ford-302.html), however not clear how the Ford Performance part number matches to the ones available on the market. As I have not found the Ford ones available for sale....

the ones installed SBF600040FPF = Mahle SBF600040F06
Ford Performance .060" = Mahle SBF600060F06
Old 06-01-2017, 02:15 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Mahle makes a **** ton of pistons, and they're probably the best on the market. They make pistons for a lot of factory sports cars, as well as F1. The PN you have could be some Ford specific # for something Mahle makes for the For engines that Ford had sourced for them.

A few things though....

You don't want to go .060 over on a factory 5.0 block, don't care how good the block is. The real issue is the factory blocks have all sorts of core shift and cylinder alignment issues, so regardless of overheating issues (even at .040 over) I'd be WAY more worried about wall integrity and getting a crack in a cylinder wall or pinhole leaks.

A sleeve would probably be a better option to reuse the existing piston PN, that way you have no balance issues. Mahle pistons tend to all be within a few grams of each other, so you should be able to get away with not having to rebalance the assembly.

The real issue though, is you need to find out why it seized in the first place. Were they full floating pistons? If THOSE things seized, you have some kind of major issue. Even the non full floating (standard configuration) pistons from Mahle shouldn't seize...or any decent piston for that matter.

The wrist pin is oiled from splash coming off the rod journals on the crank that flings up onto the cylinder walls, then is scraped off by the oil control ring which directs oil onto the wrist pins. So if you get a seizure, you're either not getting oil down in there (indicating an oil control ring issue, or a splash oiling problem), you have a pin fitment problem (unlikely with Mahles), a heat problem causing distortion (engine overheating, detonation, pistons are too tight etc), or the cylinders might already be too overbored and distorting around and pinching the pistons under load (having the same effect as a piston that's too tight, except it occurs intermittently).
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 AM
StangNator

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Mahle makes a **** ton of pistons, and they're probably the best on the market. They make pistons for a lot of factory sports cars, as well as F1. The PN you have could be some Ford specific # for something Mahle makes for the For engines that Ford had sourced for them.

A few things though....

You don't want to go .060 over on a factory 5.0 block, don't care how good the block is. The real issue is the factory blocks have all sorts of core shift and cylinder alignment issues, so regardless of overheating issues (even at .040 over) I'd be WAY more worried about wall integrity and getting a crack in a cylinder wall or pinhole leaks.

A sleeve would probably be a better option to reuse the existing piston PN, that way you have no balance issues. Mahle pistons tend to all be within a few grams of each other, so you should be able to get away with not having to rebalance the assembly.

The real issue though, is you need to find out why it seized in the first place. Were they full floating pistons? If THOSE things seized, you have some kind of major issue. Even the non full floating (standard configuration) pistons from Mahle shouldn't seize...or any decent piston for that matter.

The wrist pin is oiled from splash coming off the rod journals on the crank that flings up onto the cylinder walls, then is scraped off by the oil control ring which directs oil onto the wrist pins. So if you get a seizure, you're either not getting oil down in there (indicating an oil control ring issue, or a splash oiling problem), you have a pin fitment problem (unlikely with Mahles), a heat problem causing distortion (engine overheating, detonation, pistons are too tight etc), or the cylinders might already be too overbored and distorting around and pinching the pistons under load (having the same effect as a piston that's too tight, except it occurs intermittently).
I find it hard to determine why it seized the fist time as there is no direct indication of the problem. It is #4 which seized - makes sense as that one is the last in the line of the cooling chain, but also #1 seized. An this is the first in the line with the best cooling. All bearings have some marks and I would not expect to have marks on the main bearings or connection rod bearing if the seizure was caused due to engine overheating, right? That normally would indicate an oil problem (fuel in the oil / much too less oil / wrong oil pan pickup / ...). And also the oil looked quite normal. No smell of fuel or anything like that.
I made some images from the damage.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...i0yX2VkMEJVVWc

Just to avoid I describe the problem wrong (sorry, English is not my native language): The piston got pinched by the cylinder - the pins are OK as far I could see.
The seizure happened while driving under load on the Autobahn around 105-110mls. It was the first time I pushed the car - the engine is only 2y old and has around 2000 milage. I drove that speed for about 3mls distance and noticed a vibration in intervals. I thought it is a accumulation of tire and maybe drive shaft imbalance.
Oil pressure and water temp were fine at that moment as far as I can remember.

Search this Thread