General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99 Mustang GT A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:24 PM
koreydrice

Question 99 Mustang GT A/C issue

I own a 1999 Mustang GT SOHC. When my engine is running (of course) and I first turn on my A/C the clutch engages, the compressor spins, and the engine idle drops. After a few seconds the engine idle goes higher and the compressor turns off and will not come back on.

I have replaced the Clutch cut off sensor, compressor (was bad), and did an Evac/recharge. I was told the liquid line that hold the oriffice tube may be clogged. I removed the line and I can blow air through freely. Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

I'm no AC guru, but I'd personally just take it in for service. It might hurt the wallet some, but at least you'll have AC again. And I'm sure that's kinda important in Florida.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 PM
koreydrice

That's the thing. I work in a shop with two Master Techs lol. It is 100% an electrical issue. I have no dash lights and my gauges "reset" every time I start the car. Like, go from off to all the way up, back to off then to where they need to be.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:19 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by koreydrice
That's the thing. I work in a shop with two Master Techs lol. It is 100% an electrical issue. I have no dash lights and my gauges "reset" every time I start the car. Like, go from off to all the way up, back to off then to where they need to be.
Thats how the gauges work, they do an initial sweep at key on, then return to normal.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:31 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

The newer cars maybe do the needle sweep on regular startup but not the older cars. The 99 would only do that if you held down the trip reset long enough while turning the key to the 'on' position.

Are there any other electrical issues on the car? Is the car battery still in good shape?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
The newer cars maybe do the needle sweep on regular startup but not the older cars. The 99 would only do that if you held down the trip reset long enough while turning the key to the 'on' position.

Are there any other electrical issues on the car? Is the car battery still in good shape?
You could be right, my first 00 did it every key cycle, but my second 00 did not do it.

I did a little research on it and it seems that when the battery is failing or there is a bad ground they will sweep.

This could very well cause problems with the A/C cycling off. A bad battery can cause all kinds of trouble with the engine management system so it somthing to look into.