Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new brakes for sometime driver...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

Default new brakes for sometime driver...

I am looking to replace the brakes on a 2005 Mustang GT...I am looking for better than OE performance but there are so many choices and I am uninterested in paying for fluff (or upgrades that I will never use)...anyone offer up some thoughts and experiences???

I have a sometime driver 2005 GT and I can't see paying for drilled and/or slotted rotors, it won't see a racetrack or autocross so I'm looking for suggestions on something that may improve the OE brakes but not be expensive as I have already spent a bit getting my GT up and running.

It looks from other threads that I cannot do the GT500 upgrade as I have 17" wheels and the GT500 from what I've read need the 18'ers to clear the rotors.

I will be replacing rotors and pads but keeping the stock calipers...

Thanks for anything you would care to share...

Bill
Old 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

EBC greenstuff pads and Motul RBF600 fluid. Forget the rotors, just get the cheap Centric ones, they work perfectly well and I abuse them a lot at the track. The difference will amaze you, then you'll want more, so go with braided lines, then once you get the bug go for the Brembo upgrade. Don't fight it, it's futile
Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Agree with Flash. I upgraded to slotted rotors on mine, but that was admittedly more for the look (I just think they look cool). I upgraded the fluid, and went to braided lines and the pedal on my car was noticeably improved. Very solid brake feel, and I stayed with stock calipers.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:37 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

thanks guys...good to know...

Bill
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Slotted rotors mostly seem to resist scoring in street duty a little better than plain, but other than that there isn't any overriding reason for getting them.

Motul RBF 600 fluid if you're going to bleed it from time to time, ATE 200 if you want to be able to go 2 or 3 years between bleeding/flushing.

For pads, I like Carbotechs or G-locs, probably in AX-6 or R6 for your current use and stated 'want'. There will probably be a bit more dust and perhaps a little occasional noise, but there's a very real chance of getting spoiled by the better bite.

Norm
Old 05-31-2017, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

For pads I'm bias towards Akebono ceramics. For brake fluid I second the ATE 200. I personally am not keen on most dedicated racing type brake fluids like the Motul RBF 600 because it requires annual bleeding. The ATE 200 is listed as a racing fluid (oddly enough) but recommends an interval of up to 3 years.

For rotors, I generally stick with OEM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:06 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

thanks...