Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:27 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Default Cats

08 GT from new. 270,000 miles. Original cats. No codes, no issues. Do they stay or do they go?
Old 06-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Keep 'em!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:09 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

What he said. Unless you're having ***** trouble , my advice is to keep the existing cats.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM
rocky321
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
What he said. Unless you're having ***** trouble , my advice is to keep the existing cats.
Love ***** trouble!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

They are no longer providing any benefit, all the catalyst has been used up. If you're not getting any trouble codes, might as well keep 'em for legal compliance (depending on where you live). If you're a greenie and are worried about polluting (you picked the wrong car, but...), replace them with a CARB compliant CATs.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

'08 uses full monitoring of HO2S sensors, and I suspect if the catalyst was "used up", all kinds of dopey codes would be thrown. imp
Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
They are no longer providing any benefit, all the catalyst has been used up. If you're not getting any trouble codes
If the cats weren't functioning correctly, the downstream O2 sensors would have triggered a code.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'm just saying... I've seen the tailpipe emissions readings of a well tuned car without any cats, and a well maintained 10 year old vehicle with stock cats. The car with cats did not have the cleaner emissions. Also, there is a reason that the warranty on the cats, while longer than the powertrain warranty, ends before the 8th year.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:08 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

I'm just saying... I've seen the tailpipe emissions readings of a well tuned car without any cats, and a well maintained 10 year old vehicle with stock cats. The car with cats did not have the cleaner emissions.
We're the NOx emissions also measured or was it only the HC and CO?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'm just saying... I've seen the tailpipe emissions readings of a well tuned car without any cats, and a well maintained 10 year old vehicle with stock cats. The car with cats did not have the cleaner emissions.
That's neither here not there.

At best, it says that it's possible at that particular moment for a single car without cats to meet test standards for which the mfrs have had to go to cats in order to guarantee meeting them long term for the entire fleet.

Also, there is a reason that the warranty on the cats, while longer than the powertrain warranty, ends before the 8th year.
Warranty lengths - or on the flip side, component design to reliably exceed some specified warranty period by "X" amount - is determined by the mfr's desire to minimize warranty expense.

This is most likely some bell curve/statistical thing, where the warranty length corresponds to some number of standard deviations on the low side from some estimated mean time to the inability to pass testing. As a crude example, at 3 standard deviations, you'd have to plan on having to replace converter(s) on about 150 out of every 100,000 cars. Plus probably a few more than that due to damage caused by other emissions-related failures.

Which (especially for OP) says nothing about how long any cats that have lived as long as his have might still be good for. They might be good for nine more years and another quarter million miles, or they might die over the next couple of weeks.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-22-2017 at 08:07 AM.