Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Power Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 AM
drhlgoodman

Question Power Problem

Guys,

I can't resolve a problem that is intermittent usually. However, it has now done it again.
The engine will start just fine, put it into gear & drive out of the garage & it dies! All the lights go out! No power - even the overhead light. I was told it was the ignition switch, replace it & same problem, NOT battery posts (unclean) I have cleaned them.

Any ideas.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Gun Jam

Brake lights, headlights and interior lights are independent of the ignition switch I believe.

does the engine die too when you lose power?

The engine should continue to run in the absence of a battery once started.

When did it last work right? When did this intermittent issue start to occur?
How often do you drive the vehicle? How long have you owned the vehicle?

What year is the car?

You may want to check firewall connectors. With all the lights on wiggle the Driver side firewall plug connectors and see if that causes the issue.

-Gun
Old 06-17-2017, 06:04 PM
drhlgoodman

Default Power Problem

does the engine die too when you lose power?

Yes. Engine stops. NO POWER TO ANYTHING.

The engine should continue to run in the absence of a battery once started.

When did it last work right?
ANSWER: Some months back the intermittent problem began.

When did this intermittent issue start to occur? ANSWER: See above.

How often do you drive the vehicle?
ANSWER: Primarily during summer - even then not often. I have put less than 1000 per year for the past few years.

How long have you owned the vehicle? ANSWER: Thirty-five (35) years. Never had this problem in the past.

What year is the car? ANSWER: 1967 Coupe.

You may want to check firewall connectors. ANSWER: I have been going over them, I have a light to check for power. Found nothing YET.

With all the lights on wiggle the Driver side firewall plug connectors and see if that causes the issue. ANSWER: Will try this later, can't tonight got company.

Will say it needs new wiring - some (many) have been wrapped with black electrical tape and join locations, etc.

Yesterday after putting in the ignition switch it started right up and I drove it around the area a bit. Today it started immediately, I started to drive out of the garage and it died. Nothing happens now. No lights at all, nothing. The over-head light, nothing. It is really frustrating!

Thanks for your effort.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 PM
drhlgoodman

Follow up to the above "Power Problem" - a short time ago I went out to the garage & shorted the starter solenoid, the car started. After that something "awakened" and it started from the ignition key.

Not sure that solenoid can cause everything to go dead but, I'm going to replace that first thing and see what happens.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 AM
Gun Jam

well if the engine dies its likely losing power to the coil. The coil wire does pass through the firewall via a quick disconnect plug.

It does seem quite odd that ALL power is lost. There should be several circuits here that are independent of eachother.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM
drhlgoodman

Default Power Problem

Anyone have any knowledge on my suggestion of the starter solenoid as the "Power Shutdown" on my 1967 289. Do you know "IF" it can cause the problems discussed earlier?

H L Goodman
Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It shouldn't. A loose connection at the solenoid could shut down battery power to the electrical systems, but it wouldn't turn the car off. As mentioned, coil power is what keeps the engine running, and that's supplied by the alternator, even if the battery is disconnected.

I'd recommend checking your alternator wiring, grounds (including engine ground strap - the one at the rear of the motor), and voltage regulator wiring.

Aside from that, there likely isn't going to be an easy solution to this. Electrical diagnostics are in your future. If you don't have one already, I'd recommend picking up a Factory Service Manual, which includes all of the electrical diagrams you need to properly troubleshoot.

Last edited by Starfury; 06-19-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Gun Jam

Im almost sure there has to be multiple issue.

for example a primary ground wire from the battery goes to a battery post that is broken inside the battery and makes intermittent contact the Alternator is also bad and is supplying no power. When the battery disconnects all power is lost.

If you can get it started the very 1st thing to check is if the battery is charging. You MUST use a volt meter and get a real volt reading. Once the car is running check between + and - on the battery do you see 10.5v? 12v? 14v?

Its likely a waste of time to investigate anything else at this point...luckily its a super simple check!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM
drhlgoodman

Default Power Problem Update

We replaced the starter solenoid yesterday. We then turned the key on and ... nothing, the dash lights were dark. We sat there for a moment thinking of which direction to go next. The all of a sudden the dash lights came on! We turned the key, it fired up. We did that three times, we drove out of the garage. After a time when back to put it away, ALL IS WELL! However, we will drive it a bit BEFORE we state the problem solved.

It's very puzzling. It's almost as if there is a "resistor, or ..." that needs time to reset.

Will report back later - can't drive it now, have company for a couple of more days.

Thanks for your feed-back to this point in time.

Harvey Goodman
Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Gun Jam

well it sounds like its not.

This is interesting. No luck on getting a volt reading?

-Gun