General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help repairing paint-self inflicted damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:21 AM
5window

Default Need help repairing paint-self inflicted damage

I have stupidly created this paint damage on my car.

There is basically paint and a metal scratch damage in the tail piece and deep scratches and a very small ding on the quarter. I have limited body and paint skills but would like to try to repair this myself. There is a local professional auto body/paint supply store nearby which can “shoot” the paint and modify the paint code and make me a rattle can of the right color.

Any tips/video links, etc. on removing the scratches, filling the scratches and refinishing the tail piece would be appreciated. I am, slightly, encouraged that the most severe damage in limited to the tail piece and there are natural breaks at the top crease and seam for taping if needed. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Need help repairing paint-self inflicted damage-damage-1.jpg   Need help repairing paint-self inflicted damage-damage-2.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

My tip would be just to have it professionally done by a reputable shop. Your wallet might not like it but on a car like yours, sometimes it's just best to bite the bullet and get it done right.

Doing it yourself may lead to color mismatch, body panel imperfections, and possibly a repair that may only last a year or two before it bubbles or peels.

From the pics you have a great looking classic, but maybe I'm wrong lol.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

I vote......Body Shop too!!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Body shop, unless you know how to sand that all out flat, body fill the creased areas block it out straight and then blend the paint and clear coat.