4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Purchase a new alternator (or battery)

Old 06-22-2017, 08:57 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Purchase a new alternator (or battery)

Hey Guys,

My mustang just started dying on me. Based on Advance Auto Parts, the alternator needs replaced. It must have been a while since I searched for these as I don't remember them being so expensive.

Does anyone have experience with one the universal alternators? They are about 1/2 or more the cost of a Duralast alternator.

Thanks.

AutoZone:
http://www.autozone.com/starting-cha...eVehicle=false

Advance:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/c3...p2HomeClicked=

Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Those alternators in your links are "universal" in their fitment for some GM applications. You'll unfortunately never make any of them work on your car, you're stuck spending the big bucks on this.

And yeah, they are a little pricy (like everything else). Last time I got one I think it was about $150 or maybe a little more. If the option exists to buy a new vs rebuilt unit, if the price difference is reasonable then I would opt for a new unit.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Those alternators in your links are "universal" in their fitment for some GM applications. You'll unfortunately never make any of them work on your car, you're stuck spending the big bucks on this.

And yeah, they are a little pricy (like everything else). Last time I got one I think it was about $150 or maybe a little more. If the option exists to buy a new vs rebuilt unit, if the price difference is reasonable then I would opt for a new unit.
What makes you say gm only? I typed in my car and filtered on my mustang only. These were the results. What am i overlooking?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Go look at your alternator. Then look at the ones in those pics. Do they look the same? If you want to fab up your own brackets and hack up some wiring then I suppose one of those could be made to work. They all say "GM" in the desription, a few of them even list model year ranges. They are universal because from the early 1970's thru the 80's GM installed 305's and 350's in everything from trucks to passenger cars and save for what were often minor differences they would all use the same alternator regardless of whether it was for a Cutlass or a Suburban.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 06-22-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I took for granted that you had a '96 - '04 GT or something in that range with a 4.6. Your profile pic shows an S197 V6. I own other Fords with 4.0 V6, not sure if the accessory setup is the same or similar to what your car has but if so then those alternators still won't work. It has to mount to the engine somehow...
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

I hadn't compared the pictures to the actual thing yet. I just saw duralast as my main choice when I looked up my car specifically. Than I clicked universal and saw duralast again. So I cam on here to see if there was any real issue with choosing one over the other. I guess I should have did the comparison first.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

No worries dude, good luck with it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:24 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
No worries dude, good luck with it.
What did you think about the amazon one?

Also, the auto shops (advance and autozone) seem to think that both the battery and alternator needs to be replaced. I find it hard to believe that both would suddently quit. What would be the best to switch out first and see if the problem goes away.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The one in your Amazon link says it fits '01 thru '04 3.8 (3.9 if '04) V6 models. I'm confused on what car you have though, as your avatar pic shows an '05+ V6 car. Based on the two 4.0 Fords I have (both Explorers, an '03 and '08) that alternator does not look correct. So, what car is this for?

If the battery has been charged and load tested and they say it's bad then it probably is. An alternator that has been failing for a while (thus increasing the load on the battery) can make that happen. To answer your question though, I would replace the alternator first and go from there. If the battery is toast and won't hold a charge it won't take too long to find out.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Assuming you have an '05+ 4.0 V6, here is what your alternator should look like. And you'll notice that they carry like 9 different replacements ranging in price from $90 to $200.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...generator,2412

Search this Thread