General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

checked out a 2012 GT today - what's with the 5.0 exhaust?

Old 06-22-2017, 04:23 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

Default checked out a 2012 GT today - what's with the 5.0 exhaust?

It was nice and I'm considering buying it as a second mustang. But tbh the exhaust note was pathetic! It was quiet as a regular car up until 5k where it has a nice scream...but where's the rumble??

Currently have a 06 GT (stock exhaust) and before this I had a 98 GT, i really love the rumble that both these cars have...but the exhaust note on the 5.0 doesn't sit right with me, especially since they have like a hundred more horsepower!

I don't race or anything and I usually drive conservatively...so I like having that low end rumble which lets me drive safely and still sound nasty.

Is there any axel back kits or catbacks you can put on the 5.0 to get that nice rumble? cus looking at youtube videos even a lot of the axel backs just sound like slightly louder versions of the stock exhaust :/
Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

What sounds good to one person is gonna sound bad to another, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. There are several axle back systems that sound good. It is probably the resonator that is taking out the rumble that you're looking for but then that is my opinion. Check your local Mustang club or just listen for one that you like and ask the guy what he has, that is the safest way. I agree that videos don't really do justice to the real sound in person.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:43 AM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

No, this engine does not have a traditional v8 rumble, and that is because it is not a traditional v8.

The exhaust I've heard that changes the tone the most in the way you're looking for is MAC.

Search this Thread