General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mice Terrorism

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:22 PM
planenut

Default Mice Terrorism

Have a 2017 Stang convertible. Been smelling a dead mouse after starting the car so I investigated. Found where it had chewed though the cabin air filter and died. My question is where is the fresh air inlet on this car. I know that's where it got in so I want to screen off the inlet to keep the little critters out. Can't seem to locate it. Any help is appreciated.

Jim
Old 07-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

My best guess is it draws air in through the cowl. Turn on the hvac to "vent" (the main ones on the dash facing you) and fan to high speed. Stand outside the car and listen, you should be able to hear where it's drawing in from.

Not familiar with the cowl on the newer Mustangs and how big the openings might be, but keep in mind that the average field mouse can slip through some pretty small openings. And if it's too small they just chew it bigger.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM
planenut

Hey,
Thanks for the advice. I did as you suggested and found that the fresh air does indeed come in through the cowl openings. Couldn't hear the air as much as feel it when selecting the outside air as the source. When selecting recirculate inside air I couldn't feel it. Guess I'll try to remember to select recirculate air before shutting off the engine. Maybe that'll keep them from reaching the filter.
Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM
planenut

Decided to keep checking and finally found the actual fresh air entrance. It is an approx. 9"x9" square hole through the firewall behind the battery. Removed the battery and battery box and there was mickey mouse dead in the opening. That really is an open invite to critters. Popped riveted a screen with 1/4 in. openings over the hole so that should fix the problem until they find another path in.

Jim
Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by planenut
Decided to keep checking and finally found the actual fresh air entrance. It is an approx. 9"x9" square hole through the firewall behind the battery. Removed the battery and battery box and there was mickey mouse dead in the opening. That really is an open invite to critters. Popped riveted a screen with 1/4 in. openings over the hole so that should fix the problem until they find another path in.

Jim
Mice in bellhousing.

Grass they brought in wound into rope, preventing releaser fingers from fully returning, allowing incomplete clutch disc clamping. Vent holes back side of housing covered with screen; Ford failed to do that. imp
Old 07-17-2017, 01:02 PM
jeedee

Have the same problem, but in a 1995 GT....Aardvark or Bison in the venting system. Looked in fender wells, and on firewall....no inlets. Where would the rotting critter most likely be...? Made sure that I had all dash settings closed, when I stored it for the winter. I know that mice can get through a dime-sized hole. Any help greatly appreciated.....thanx. Charlie.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:32 AM
planenut

Hi Charlie,
Believe me I know how hard I is to find a dead stinking mouse. Not familiar with how a 95 is set up but I was shocked to discover that the fresh air opening on my 2015 had no protection from unauthorized critters. I would venture to say that there has to be an opening in the firewall somewhere. Otherwise I don't see how the fresh air can otherwise enter the inside of the car. Might try to verify where it is and screen it off like I had to. Good luck.

Jim
Old 07-18-2017, 09:12 AM
jeedee

Thanx Jim for the reply. Will get underneath the car, and check from that view. Charlie
Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
cthuener

Has anyone tried to prevent rodents from getting into the engine bay. I am trying an Ultrasonic device now. I found Olive pits all over my engine and I am afraid that they will start chewing on the wires next. I am open to all suggestions.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 PM
jeedee

Default Meeses

I spread delicious, aromatic, and tasty pellets in strategic areas of the garage, to give the lil' darlings a choice of tasty pellets, or spark plug wires....no contest. Of course, then they croak...as much as I hate to destroy life. Had a gigantic nest in the cowl channel.....in the wipers bay. It wasn't easy to locate the corpus delicious, which had fallen into the blower/vent section, but now my cabin smells heavenly again. (Had been away for 5 years, and hadn't renewed my pellet dispersion....hence the problem.)

Last edited by jeedee; 11-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.