Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

2001 Cobra motor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM
ajgrady

Default 2001 Cobra motor help

Hey Guys,
So about a month ago I bought an 01 Cobra with a hurt engine. From the knocking sound and what I've read online it sounds like its probably a thrown journal bearing. So Im just about ready to pull the motor but I need help deciding whats the best step to take next. I am either going to have this block remachined and reuse the entire thing, or order a new 4.6l block and re use the heads. If you think getting a new 4.6l block is the way to go, can you please give me ideas of where to find a good reputable site that sells them? Also Im not sure if this car has forged internals or if that was just for the 03-04s. If thats the case should I throw forged internals even if I don't really plan on boosting it? Lastly can you ball park what i may cost to do new crank, rods, pistons, etc... ( assuming everything on the top end is ok). Thanks a lot guys!
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

If it were me I'd look around for a junk yard motor that runs well. Make sure you can hear it running before purchasing.

Maybe give Jasper engines a call.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.