General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird engine performance when running A/C.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
magon121254

Default Weird engine performance when running A/C.

This may be a bit long. Bear with me, because the problem started after a specific set of circumstances, and I don't what's related or isn't.
So I bought a new SUV, and decided to give my trusty ole 2006 GT a deserved breather. I drove the new car for 2 weeks, but didn't forget to turn on my 'Stang, to keep the battery from draining. I guess I didn't let it idle long enough, because the battery drained anyway. So I slow charged it with my charger, and started using the 'Stang gain on weekends. Prior to the 2 wk. break, the car was running normally. Not so afterwards. At first the engine ran rough, but eventually went back to normal, so long as the A/C was off. It's another story entirely with the A/C on. The higher the fan speed I run it on, the rougher it runs. RPMs fluctuate up and down, though not violently. Maybe 200-300 RPM. The car will often stall while idling or braking.
does anyone have any thoughts about what could be causing this?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If the battery died, the PCM lost the 'learned' values for your idle and throttle trims.

https://support.bamaperformance.com/...6-Idle-Relearn

It should let the car relearn the fuel trims for idle. If that doesn't fix the problem then you might start looking at water in your fuel, dirty maf, and other culprits.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The higher fan speed (which equals increased load on the electrical system) correlating to idle quality and driveability I think says something.

I would verify that the battery and alternator are in good shape before getting worked up about anything else. Modern electronically (computer) controlled cars just simply will not run correctly when there are charging system deficiencies.

Your battery may seem ok, but honestly you should be able to park your car for two weeks without it going dead. Two months, two years, obviously that's a different story. But as long as the car is driven at least semi-regularly then two weeks parked shouldn't be an issue, IMO.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
The higher fan speed (which equals increased load on the electrical system) correlating to idle quality and driveability I think says something.

I would verify that the battery and alternator are in good shape before getting worked up about anything else. Modern electronically (computer) controlled cars just simply will not run correctly when there are charging system deficiencies.

Your battery may seem ok, but honestly you should be able to park your car for two weeks without it going dead. Two months, two years, obviously that's a different story. But as long as the car is driven at least semi-regularly then two weeks parked shouldn't be an issue, IMO.
yeah but some 05-08 models are known to have parasitic draw issues. What sucks is Ford simply made an annoucement about it, no solution provided. I've heard some say the Shaker 500 is/was the primary culprit but, I have that system and I've left my car parked for up to a month without issue.

http://www.stangpit.com/wp-content/i...b/07-05-13.pdf

related but not related...
https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downl...sb12-07-04.pdf
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I've had good luck with Battery Wholesale.

They check your charging system for free.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:28 PM
magon121254

Originally Posted by Derf00
If the battery died, the PCM lost the 'learned' values for your idle and throttle trims.

https://support.bamaperformance.com/...6-Idle-Relearn

It should let the car relearn the fuel trims for idle. If that doesn't fix the problem then you might start looking at water in your fuel, dirty maf, and other culprits.
Excellent advice!!!! I did as the the article recommended. After 10 miles, the car was running much better, almost back to normal.
Since I've gotten knowledgeable responses from a few of you that know what they're talking about, let me add a bit to my initial post, and ask a new but related question: I knew about the computer having to readjust. I've experienced it before when I've had to disconnect the battery for any reason. In the past, though, it only took about 3-4 days of driving around for the computer to readjust. This time, although my 'Stang is getting driven 1 to 2 days a week, after about a month it was still running as badly as I described in my first post. The distance it was driven were about 8 to 32 miles per day.The battery and the alternator are relatively new. About a year, give or take a month. The car is a 2006. Did it fail to readjust because it was driven for just a few days a week, because the car has some years (And mileage! 176,000 miles.) or because of something I need to worry about or keep in mind?