Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another exhaust too loud question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Dredd1

Default Another exhaust too loud question

Hello members.
I'm new to this site. Did a search concerning my exhaust system being too loud and there's all kinds of differing opinions on the subject so I will post this question.
I have a 2011 GT automatic. I installed a set of BBK ceramic long tube headers along with their catted 3 inch x pipe. Following that a 3 inch MBRP Street cat back system was originally installed. The sound was absolutely horrible. Idle was ok but anything above that sounded like an extremely loud trumpet. It also droned at highway speeds.
I called American Muscle where I had originally bought the whole exhaust system and they recommended Flowmaster American Thunder Classic axle back mufflers to bring the noise level down.
I ordered these and installed them but these are actually a lot louder than the MBRP mufflers. They sound good at idle and at WOT however but I have to constantly have feather the pedal because they are so loud.
So back to the drawing board and over $1000 spent for nothing.
Anybody know of any 3 inch inlet quiet mufflers that would fit on my GT?
Would Dynomax Super Turbos be a good choice? With resonators maybe?
I'm not looking to have a loud exhaust, just better performance.
Thank you
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Potomus Pete

I also have American thunder mufflers, and to anyone looking for mufflers be advised they are very loud. I like them because its not a daily drive. When I ordered them and started it up I couldn't believe it. on the 89 5.0 its Nascar.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Magnaflow Streets or KOOK's......straight through and very deep and mellow!!

I spent over $3K on exhaust before I landed where I am now with FRPP Tourings by BORLA........OK but I liked KOOK's better and sold because the tips looked bad!!

Good Luck....exhaust can be a ROCKY ROAD!!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

How about installing some resonators somewhere along the mid pipe or after the midpipe (if there's space)?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Dredd1

I just ordered a pair of Magnaflow 14419 round mufflers to install in the straight section of pipes before the differential. Hoping this will tone it down.
If not enough, will have to look to replace the rear Flowmasters. PITA
Old 07-29-2017, 05:27 PM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Anyone recommending flowmasters as a tone down set needs their head examined. GT500 mufflers are likely the answer for you, my friend, if you can find a set. Good quality sound without being overbearing at all. With full exhaust, you want the quietest muffler you can get. Still got the stock ones lying around? You could knock the ugly off those with a bigger tip and see how that fares. Automatics, especially need to watch drone.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Dredd1

Stock ones are 2.5 inches inlets, my whole system is 3 inches from the headers. Would create a restriction. Are the GT500 mufflers 3 inches?
Old 07-31-2017, 10:42 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

It's not going to cause any meaningful restriction that far back in the exhaust system. you've been believing the advertising bumf. There are no axle-backs that make power, for this reason. GT500s are 2.75, I believe and, they are good enough for a 650 hp GT500.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Dredd1

Good point, tks. Magnaflow 5 inch round mufflers are going in today before the axle. If these don't tone the noise enough, I'll look into the GT500 mufflers
Old 08-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

How did the Magnaflows work out??