Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Driveline "click" when applying torque to rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Default Driveline "click" when applying torque to rear wheels

Hey all,

So, my mustang is currently in the shop for a multitude of things (warranty, recall, service, etc). Howerver my post is about the the rear wheels/driveline.

When i apply torque to the rear wheels (start from a stop, decelerate, accelerate, turn) i hear an audible click. The sound is almost akin to running over a rock or something at slow speed. It has been happening for the entire life of the car, although now it's decidedly more frequent. I can't tell if it happens at freeway or street speeds, as i can't really hear it over the road noise. However, sometimes its a faint click, and sometimes its really loud, and even tactile ( i can feel it through the car).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Slop in the driveshaft U-joints. Also, you have IRS so it could be slop in the axle cv joints. It's hard to pinpoint without mechanics ears.

That would be my advice. Either a shop or pony up to get it done then, connect the mics to various points on/near the drive train to pinpoint the location. Inspect what you find.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:22 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Slop in the driveshaft U-joints. Also, you have IRS so it could be slop in the axle cv joints. It's hard to pinpoint without mechanics ears.

That would be my advice. Either a shop or pony up to get it done then, connect the mics to various points on/near the drive train to pinpoint the location. Inspect what you find.
It's at the dealership now. I figure while its still covered under the factory 3/36k warranty, i'll let them figure it out. But i'll mention the u-joints and the cv joints.

Thanks for the insight!

-J
Old 08-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yeah, i forget the S550 is still fairly new and most are under warranty still. It is best to get it to the dealer. Let them dink with it and if they don't find anything, at least it's documented
Old 08-20-2017, 04:48 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

It ended up being the axle nuts. They tightened them and now the problem no longer persists... for now.

-J