Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats getting too much fuel

Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 AM
CadenOquinn

Default Cats getting too much fuel

I have a 07 gt and the check engine light came on and I went and got it checked out and they said that my right cat was getting to much fuel.so they said that they unclogged it and the engine light went away . So about two days later it came back up agin and I started to notice that the gas gauge and miles weren't adding up . I have a 16 gallon tank so 4 gallons a quarter and it says ok go through 2 galled but the gauge says it's been a quarter of a tank . I drove it for a while and it did t go away then brought it to a muffler shop to get it looked at and since the previous owner had a h-pipe installed they moved the cats and since they did that it be the problem and they will take them off and do new ones for like 400$ and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to try to fix it myself
thanks everyone
Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

You could start by improving your English and correcting your grammar. Then we might have a better understanding of your problem and offer a potential solution.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

There is a product called "Cat Clean" or similar found at auto parts stores. You run it a bit when the tank is near empty, and then fill and run as long as you can. Used it on my rides. brother swears by it. FWIW
Old 08-17-2017, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Cats don't just up and plug up for no reason. They usually clog up because the catalyst mesh inside melts from unburnt fuel being dumped into it or the material degrading/disintegrating from just age. An 07 should not have either problem.

The gas guage thing is hard to understand from how you're explaining it...
Old 08-17-2017, 03:03 PM
CadenOquinn

Originally Posted by Derf00
Cats don't just up and plug up for no reason. They usually clog up because the catalyst mesh inside melts from unburnt fuel being dumped into it or the material degrading/disintegrating from just age. An 07 should not have either problem.

The gas guage thing is hard to understand from how you're explaining it...

so if the car car is getting to much fuel that's what they said when they plugged it up at autozone it could fry the cat
Old 08-17-2017, 03:10 PM
CadenOquinn

Default Stupid cats

Originally Posted by CadenOquinn
so if the cat is getting to much fuel .that's what they said when they plugged it up at autozone .it could fry the cats if it is getting unburnt fuel
thanks
Old 08-17-2017, 04:19 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

So, what could be causing too much unburned fuel getting through... Not many things:
1.) clean the MAF sensor, if the incoming metered air is off the fuel will be off.
2.) change the spark plugs, if the fuel is not being burned it will clog the cats
3.) clean or change the fuel injectors, if an injector is stuck open it will provide too much fuel
4.) change the O2 sensors, if the pre-cat/post-cat sensors are getting a bad reading, it will adjust fuel delivery.
5.) get a custom tune, a tune can be set up to work off of only the pre-cat O2 sensor so that the ECU does not add/remove fuel based on the post-cat O2 sensor, just in case something is wrong with the cats or the location of the cats.
beyond that it's minor sensors that propbably aren't affecting anything, but a fuel rail pressure sensor can throw things off.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
So, what could be causing too much unburned fuel getting through... Not many things:
1.) clean the MAF sensor, if the incoming metered air is off the fuel will be off.
2.) change the spark plugs, if the fuel is not being burned it will clog the cats
3.) clean or change the fuel injectors, if an injector is stuck open it will provide too much fuel
4.) change the O2 sensors, if the pre-cat/post-cat sensors are getting a bad reading, it will adjust fuel delivery.
5.) get a custom tune, a tune can be set up to work off of only the pre-cat O2 sensor so that the ECU does not add/remove fuel based on the post-cat O2 sensor, just in case something is wrong with the cats or the location of the cats.
beyond that it's minor sensors that propbably aren't affecting anything, but a fuel rail pressure sensor can throw things off.
Yup, all of that, I'm betting on the O2 sensors. Then go to Walmart or home depot and get a couple of gallons of pure toluene (not paint thinner), put them in the gas tank, fill it up and it will get those cats clean again. Also raises the octane. Won't harm the engine since Toluene is one of the main components of gasoline anyway.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CadenOquinn
so if the car car is getting to much fuel that's what they said when they plugged it up at autozone it could fry the cat
Yeah, unburnt fuel can indeed damage the catalyst.
The guys above have already given you some good advice. You might want to scan your ECU for fault codes to home in on the problem. If it's only the passenger side cat (as you mentioned in your first post) that's clogging up, it may be only the right bank of cylinders that's running rich in which case, the pre-cat O2 sensor on that side (bank 1 sensor 1) could be at fault. Merely replacing that could solve your problem but check for codes first.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If it's only one side it could be one of the coils is not firing. Is the car running rough?