Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Exhaust "Dump"???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 AM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust "Dump"???

So, for a while now, I've had the MBRP 3" Street system on the car. I love it, it's fantastic. However, it's starting to not be loud enough. Issue is, why would I spend money on another aftermarket exhaust system, if I don't have to. I'm perfectly content keeping this system on the car, but there is something I'm thinking of trying first...

I'd like to do kind of an exhaust "dump" right after the H-pipe that came with the MBRP system. Just toss a 3" tip on there and angle it downward to avoid heating up the car. Other than figuring out a way to fashion a rod to work with the stock hanger, what are some other issues that this may bring up? I'm asking because I haven't thought it through all that much, and I'm also not a mechanic, so there must be things I haven't thought about.

The only real thing i can think of is backpressure, but I can't foresee that to be an issue. It's a full 3" system anyway, and all I'd be doing is shortening the pipes.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-J
Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Going deaf are we?

In all seriousness though, being from Cali and knowing how draconian their emissions, tint, and noise ordinances are, why would you want to go louder and draw the attention of local law enforcement? It just gives them a reason to pull you over for the smallest things even if the noise isn't above threshold.

2nd, you shouldn't dump directly under the car for DD. You can end up with exhaust fumes in the car if you drive surface streets a lot. Not healthy and can cause health problems or worse, you pass out while driving. You should either dump out the back or side.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:10 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Does that still hold even if I get curved tips and angle them downward? I don't drive the car daily, and there's always freeway in my future.

I'm more worried about figuring out a way to get a rod on the tip to use the factory hanger(s). That may be a challenge in itself. As far as the noise goes, isn't that the point? Haha!

Thanks for the reply
Originally Posted by Derf00
Going deaf are we?

In all seriousness though, being from Cali and knowing how draconian their emissions, tint, and noise ordinances are, why would you want to go louder and draw the attention of local law enforcement? It just gives them a reason to pull you over for the smallest things even if the noise isn't above threshold.

2nd, you shouldn't dump directly under the car for DD. You can end up with exhaust fumes in the car if you drive surface streets a lot. Not healthy and can cause health problems or worse, you pass out while driving. You should either dump out the back or side.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:37 AM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

Bumping this up...

Also, what about cooling? Do mufflers retain heat, so cool air doesn't go back through the system and cool the motor too rapidly, thus causing important components to warp or damage? I guess if that was a risk, driving in the rain would be a problem, even if the car was stock, right?

Just curious... I love my car.. I just want noise without $$$ haha. I don't want to risk anything, if I don't have to.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kawiguy827
Does that still hold even if I get curved tips and angle them downward? I don't drive the car daily, and there's always freeway in my future.

I'm more worried about figuring out a way to get a rod on the tip to use the factory hanger(s). That may be a challenge in itself. As far as the noise goes, isn't that the point? Haha!

Thanks for the reply
Hot air rises so tips or no tips, the exhaust will still rise and could get into the car. At the very least you should use a side-exit exhaust system. Or keep the existing exhaust and just add electric dumps so you can run the exhaust open when you want.

just google Electric exhaust dumps.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...ve-p-9575.html

And no, it shouldn't overheat anything if you have proper shielding where the exhaust exits.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:18 PM
kawiguy827
1st Gear Member

I was trying to avoid spending any type of real coin. If i was going to do that, I'd go with the AWE track system. It's the closest thing to straight pipes that exist and that I'm able to obtain with a receipt. Ha.

More than not spending the cash, I was looking for a cool project that, as i'm finding out, I have neither the tools or the expertise to accomplish on my own. Oh well, it was a nice thought.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend (it's friday as i'm writing this).

-J

Originally Posted by Derf00
Hot air rises so tips or no tips, the exhaust will still rise and could get into the car. At the very least you should use a side-exit exhaust system. Or keep the existing exhaust and just add electric dumps so you can run the exhaust open when you want.

just google Electric exhaust dumps.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-i...ve-p-9575.html

And no, it shouldn't overheat anything if you have proper shielding where the exhaust exits.