V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Purge Valve issue, or?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:22 PM
jtscrazylife

Post Purge Valve issue, or?

Hi guys,
brand new member, also brand new Mustang owner. I just bought a 2001 Ford Mustang V6 and I bought it knowing I was gonna have to put some time and money into fixing it.
I've been having an issue with the car recently and it all kind of started happening at the same time, and forgive me, I'm not at all mechanically savvy, so my explanation might sound off.
But long story short, no warning lights till yesterday, now I have a "Service Engine Soon" light that is on, but the day before I went and got a free diagnostics from AutoZone and it came back with error code P0455. I've done my fair share of research on it, but I want to know what ya'll think. The problems have been happening for about 2 weeks now. My car is sputtering, not only when I'm accelerating, but when it's idling too, and my idling can be a bit rough at times. Not only that but when the car sputs and I'm looking at my engine, my engine physically jumps a tad and I can almost hear a little click by the engine that happens every time it does it. I also get the smell of gasoline that reeks through my air conditioning every once in a while. I have problems accelerating properly when it decides to misbehave and sputs a bunch.
I looked into it and a bunch of places are saying the sputtering, rough idling, the gas smell, and the possible EVAC leak error code could all be signs of the Purge Valve getting stuck in an open position. So I'm hoping I just have to replace the Purge Valve and maybe a hose and I'll be fine.
But like I said, I have as much mechanical knowledge as a 5 year old child, so I wanted to see what ya'll think
Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM
jtscrazylife

Oh I should also mention that my radiator fluid was completely full 3 weeks ago and when I checked it today it was bone dry, I mean not even a speck of fluid