Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day running light

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:33 PM
MUSTANGFRANCE

Default Day running light

hello everyone how i wrote it first, i am from france and there are plenty of questions that remain without answers, my Gt 05 has been imported from Canada, and down they have the DRL and I absolutely seek to disable them the problem is that in France Ford dealers do not want to do it.
do you know the procedure?
I have been looking for 3 years without success
maybe you in the USA have a solution?
thank you all.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

There is no procedure to turn off the daytime running lights, the dealer is the only person who can do it. I had mine turned off, and the dealer had to contact Ford in order to get the info. Though my car was not a Canadian model.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 PM
MUSTANGFRANCE

I suspected a bit of that.
then I bought the clone VCM with IDS but impossible to disable them do you think that a dealer Ford Francais can deactivate them
Old 09-25-2017, 05:39 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

You can turn them off with Forscan. You need the free file and an obd11. connector. See these posts. Worked on my 2006 GT.
Check out the posts here http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.p...tang+drl#p9806

Doesn't matter if it's Canadian or US Go to Forscan site download latest for Windows. Put it on a laptop and change to one number as in my posts and those who helped me. Good luck.

Last edited by lenko; 10-14-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add and sp
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

This explains what you have to do
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3119
Old 09-26-2017, 10:41 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

What happens if one hard-wires a manual switch to cut off power to the DRLs? imp
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
What happens if one hard-wires a manual switch to cut off power to the DRLs? imp
Don't believe there is any specific wiring individual to DRL. It's all computer determined with voltage and paths of voltage on the main board.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lenko
Don't believe there is any specific wiring individual to DRL. It's all computer determined with voltage and paths of voltage on the main board.
I think some of them "ramp down" the DRL voltage if using headlamp filaments. Some use amber running lights, not related to headlights at all. If it's headlights you want to turn off in daylight, no matter if computer tells them to be "ON" in daylight, they gotta have wires going to them, so inserting a switch should be no big thing. OTOH, with today's sophisticated "snoopy" computers, shutting off DRLs might just throw a CEL. imp
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Bought my Mustang in US to bring to Canada. Once I got the import sheet number I went back to Courtesy Ford in Conrad, Mt and they called the Ford hot line who walked them through to turn the DRLs on by computer. Watched them come on myself. Little hicktown Ford dealership does wonderful stuff a lot of big places have no clue about or won't do. Didn't even charge anything
Since then I added a 2007 GT 500 front (Courtesy ordered all needed parts). I hated the DRLs on the headlights. With Forscan and OBD MX blue tooth I was able to "turn" the DRLs "off". Turned them on and off again just to see if I could do it. I liked the idea of having the GT500 front's lower fog lamps as DRLs as running lights are required in Canada, so I wired the fog lamps to work exactly like DRLs. No switch to turn headlights off and they work perfectly. MY 2 posts above contain all you need to turn them off or on.

Last edited by lenko; 09-27-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:01 PM
MUSTANGFRANCE

hello all thank you for your quick replies and especially very precise. I have been looking for a solution to this problem for years, but people have found solutions I have been with dozens of Ford dealers and they did not even want to take the lead to seek the solution, also a solution to this problem. I am going to be one of the only ones in France to have succeeded with your help to realize this modification. so I ordered the modified ELM327 for handling. I hope not to have too many problems to modify the lines of codes. if i have any problem i would come back to you for maybe m explain what i do not understand. in any case thank you thank you and again thank you. it is a pleasure to talk to people who really know the subject soon and good evening to all. ^^