General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Installing Front Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Default Installing Front Disc Brakes

I have a 68 convertible, 6 cylinder 200 cu in, with manual drum brakes. I understand that converting the front brakes to power disc will greatly increase safety and braking. I see a lot of conversion kits out there, some appearing to be more for high performance engines than would be my case. Any suggestions as to a specific trustworthy brand(s) to consider for a 6 cylinder? Also, does this require any alteration to the front suspension? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:27 PM
dawg80919

I bought a conversion kit from SSBC for my 66 coupe. It's the only one I could find for the 4-lug model, bolt on complete kit as about a grand including the power boost unit. Hardest part is bending new brake lines to mate up to the relocated master cylinder.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:05 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

I installed the big discs off a 67 GT-500 on my '65, which as a "K" car, had come with 5-lugs. Too long ago to remember all details, but one thing I distinctly remember is that I used no proportioning valve, the original master cylinder, non-power brakes.

They worked super! Later, I added rear discs, making my own brackets to bolt to the axle housing flange. imp