Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken clutch pedal/master clutch cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 AM
Blue_steel
1st Gear Member

Default Broken clutch pedal/master clutch cylinder

First off if you don't know about this problem. The clutch pedal is connected to the master clutch cylinder by a little plastic ring prone to breaking. Similar to our lovely thermostat housings. If this has not happened to you yet do yourself a favor and figure something out for when it does happen. this guy makes these http://www.ebay.com/itm/162565204841 for us. I have one now for in the future when mine breaks again.

I got a new master clutch cylinder and did the install myself, couldn't be out of commission that long. So here are some tips for those who this has happened to and need to do the same.

• Take out the front seat, it's only 4 bolts and a few connectors. grab a few pillows and lay them down in there. It will make things sooo much better.
  • This will more than likely **** you off, but doable in a few hours.
  • A cotter pin removal tool and long bended needle nose pliers are necessary unless you have really really tiny hands.(see pics)
  • To get the the master clutch cylinder you have to take off the whole pedal assembly.
  • When you're reinstalling everything make sure the bar for the brake booster is turned the right way, that way you don't have to take everything off twice like me!
If anyone else wants to add anything feel free to do so, hopefully this will come up for people searching for it. There isn't much out there. Specifically about the cotter pin for the fluid line.<-- that's where those tools are needed.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Ricks2014GT

Can you tell me what symptoms you had to know there was a problem? my clutch pedal sinks to the floor now. i have 55k on the car and the wife drives it mostly so its not abuse.
Thanks for this info.