Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2016 EcoBoost vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Longone

Default 2016 EcoBoost vibration

New member here with a 2016 EcoBoost auto. Need some help with a vibration at 50 to 65 maybe higher speed as well. Just picked it up today and on the Hi-way home was surprised to feel the vibration. It has the optional wheel package with 19" wheels, tires are Pirelli P zero. Car has 13,000 miles and the RR tire was just replaced, It's been awhile since I have had a car with aluminum wheels but I don't see any stick on wheel weights so I'm not sure how these are balanced.
Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks, Longone

Last edited by Longone; 11-28-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:29 PM
wildbadbill

I'd balance the wheels to be sure.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Longone

They did that today while I was there, no better. Now they are going after the driveshaft with some fancy tool from Ford, I suspect it will detect run out and balance.
I didn't realize it is a two piece driveshaft with a rubber coupler on the trans flange. I guess that is how Ford was hoping to cure the issue.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Longone
They did that today while I was there, no better. Now they are going after the driveshaft with some fancy tool from Ford, I suspect it will detect run out and balance.
I didn't realize it is a two piece driveshaft with a rubber coupler on the trans flange. I guess that is how Ford was hoping to cure the issue.
Mustangs have used a two piece drive shaft since 05. They isolate and reduce vibration from the rearend better than a 1-piece. That being said there are several drawbacks to this design like weight, increased rotational mass and more points of failure.

If the Right Rear tire was just replaced i'm going to say that's probably the source of your problem. Not balanced correctly or there are brake rotor keepers that are sandwiched in there between the brake disc and the rim. Could also be the tire is out of round or a broken belt in the tire.

Did you get to drive it before the replacement tire was put on?
Old 10-03-2017, 03:19 PM
Longone

This is where it get's good, come to find out the dealer never replaced the tire just lied about it. I did drive it but not at hi-way speed, after reading about the driveline issue I called and spoke to the salesperson to tell her I would like the mechanic who put the (mystery) tire on to road test it on the hi way. The salesperson reported back that there was no vibration, no issues at all. So I bought the car and found out on the way home that she lied about the vibration, today I found out about the tire. Now I remember why I hate dealers.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 PM
j2xtrm

Default Owner 2017 eco

I too had the same problem after only 1000 miles and I took it in to dealer, they had to replace the driveshaft cause it was bent I read somewhere that this is a common problem with the 16&17 ecosystems. Now that it’s all fixed I haven’t had a problem... I live in Ca and depending on the road I’m On I get vibration but I’ve had it up to 125 out in AZ and it was solid, so I think it just feels everything on the road and is real sensitive...
Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 PM
3thumbs

I just bought a new '17 GT, and it vibrates quite a lot from 60 mph and up. I took it back to the dealer, and after they had it overnight, they said that three people had test driven it and found "no vibration". I told the service tech that he should go for a ride with me. I immediately felt the vibration, and he said he didn't feel a thing but road bumps. I say it is the driveshaft and it is either bent or out of balance. I have since found this to be a common problem with the newer Mustangs on several internet sites. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is automatic, Ecoboost or GT.
Dave
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Longone

You should ask the tech to show you the tool kit that Ford developed to help diagnose this issue. The dealer I was dealing with had the tool kit but had no idea how to use it, all components were new in the wrapper as it came from Ford.
This is pitiful that Ford can't solve this issue, instead they chose to put a rubber flange on the driveshaft at the transmission and call it a day.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 3thumbs
I just bought a new '17 GT, and it vibrates quite a lot from 60 mph and up. I took it back to the dealer, and after they had it overnight, they said that three people had test driven it and found "no vibration". I told the service tech that he should go for a ride with me. I immediately felt the vibration, and he said he didn't feel a thing but road bumps. I say it is the driveshaft and it is either bent or out of balance. I have since found this to be a common problem with the newer Mustangs on several internet sites. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is automatic, Ecoboost or GT.
Dave

Sources? This site is by far the most active for Mustangs. I haven't heard of it on this forum.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Longone

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/M...ibration.shtml
http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/mu...t-problems.php

Here is some reading, it all became real for me (not just internet B.S.) when I saw the kit in the bag at the dealership. The contents were still in the plastic bags unused, Ford is most likely not going to send these tools out to the dealers unless there is a need for them and a reason for them to be developed and used.
The "aha" moment for me was when I was under the "16" and saw the rubber coupler on the driveshaft. That is there for a reason. In the past I have seen what I can only describe as a harmonic balancer on the driveshaft yoke to help eliminate vibrations in the driveline.
Whether it be driveline angle or phasing of the driveshafts or whatever, Ford has enough engineers that are certainly able to eliminate this issue if it was beneficially financial for them to do so. It must not be. How many owners are just going to live with this or be bullied by the dealership service manager into thinking thats the best we can do?
I once had a "99" Ranger pick-up with a 3.0L, automatic 2wd extended cab, it also had a vibration at hi-way speed. Ford changed tires and wheels, driveshaft, harmonic balancer, and transmission. In the end, the Ford rep stood in front of me and said "it had an acceptable amount of vibration". I said, acceptable to whom? Not to me, Ford would not do anything further, I was stuck with a vehicle that vibrated each and every time I drove hi-way.
I say, shame on Ford.

Longone