Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone have comp cams BIG mutha thumpr cams (part #127030)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:59 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone have comp cams BIG ***** thumpr cams (part #127030)

I'm curious to know how many have the big ***** tthumprs which are slightly bigger than the ***** thumprs (127020). If so, do any of you who have them have a video to go with it? I'm asking because it doesn't seem like many people own or know about this cam.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 PM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Update: Okay so I was able to find a handful of more videos from a user on instagram. What's weird to me is that the lope has more of a slower duration sound to it compared to the ***** thumprs which I find interesting. I've heard people making as much as 45whp with these from another forum which is insane. What do y'all think about these big ***** thumprs?

Link to other forum from user CLAIMING to have gained 45WHP and 55 FT/LB TQ:

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27721

User name is JA BoostedSTANG and he's the sixth post on the page I linked.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:44 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

He got 45 hp with a supercharger. You won't see that kind of gain from cams on an n/a engine.

For starters the thumpr line is made mostly for sound, they really don't do anything better than any of the other cams out there. Some of the best from raw peak power numbers are Comp's XFI NSR Stage 2's. They'll make 29 hp on an n/a engine, the catch is that gain comes at 6400 RPM. That's the case with most modular cams- they will make power but they move it up the power band.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
That's the case with most modular cams- they will make power
..but only from 5000rpm upwards at the expense of losing torque below 5000rpm. Therefore a cam swap would only be of benefit if you drive the car on the track or on the strip where the engine can spend most of its time spinning at 4000-6750rpm.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:30 AM
'stangdude
1st Gear Member

Oh wow. Didn't know that. Man I feel like running past redline is sketchy...at least to me it is. I usually shift right at 6k if not before! I will say that the thumprs have the nastiest idle I've ever heard a cam produce!!! What's not to love about THAT?!
Old 10-14-2017, 02:13 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's because they're huge cams with no extra lift. On the modulars they'll make some power but they're really just for sound.