Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang Starts when the negative makes contact !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Thatoneguywiththecar

Default Mustang Starts when the negative makes contact !!

Hey everyone, new to these forums- made it for the purpose of really needing help with my car! To give background I’ve had the Coupe since I was 17 and I’m going on year 7 or so. I’m in the marines now and I have two vehicles so I don’t put too many miles on the mustang anymore . She’s a inline 6,200 , 3 speed on the floor, 65’ Coupe. I had a problem with turning it over when I was going to wash the vehicle, I got a new battery a duralast gold at autozone , put her in, and she started up right away! Perfect, I drive the car to go wash, turn it off and on multiple times until the end of the day where I park and leave her for the night . I return the next day and go to turn it over, but nothing not even a click from the starter or a weird vibration from the solenoid! The accessories turned on but nothing from the starter. I go to the solenoid and make contact with a screwdriver and the car tried to turn on but stalled. Tried it again same way and nothing occured so I went to autozone and got a new solenoid and put it in very meticulously to insure that the wires would be exactly the same going on as before. I connect the positive to the terminal, and as the ground makes contact with the terminal - the battery had a rather large spark and the car tried to turn itself on! So I replaced the ignition switch thinking that had to be the faulty part, same thing , very meticulous and exactly as before. Finished the job and the same thing happened as before with the ground terminal! The battery sparked and the car succeeded in turning itself on until I yanked the ground wire off the terminal.The alternator is less than 6 months old, as is the starter. I really don’t know what could of happened but any suggestions would be appreciated ! Thank you if you read this and take your time to reply.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Hi

I moved this to the tech forum from FIF.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Gun Jam

Its probably a bad new solenoid. That solenoid acts as a switch between the battery and the starter motor.
Do you have a multi meter?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Its probably a bad new solenoid. That solenoid acts as a switch between the battery and the starter motor.
Do you have a multi meter?

What's a multi meter? imp
Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Gun Jam

its all the fancy **** in one meter typically "DMM" It can tell you how many horse shoes are in something then you roll a dial and it can tell you the potential of alternating or direct voltage. It can tell you the current draw up to 10 amps if you by pass the fuse and place the meter in line....