Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Volume

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Default Exhaust Volume

Heey guys! I have a 4.0 V6 engine in my stang. Right now im running the M80 from Pypes mid muffler design and the tone that the car gives its incredible! However I was looking for a little more volume, so I got the Pypes high flow cats....
Im not going to say it was a horrible mistake, but the exhaust tone changed way too much, granted the volume did too, was extremely loud, but just not the tone I wanted, so I changed them back to stock.
Right now I was thinking of ways to maintain something similar to the tone that I have right now, but increase the volume... so I thought the shorty headers might be my solution, however Ive never had any experience with these....
DO you guys think it will turn the volume up a little bit (I dont want it way too high either... just a little bit more, but something that I will notice) and keep the tone, or something similar?

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Stangbass
2nd Gear Member

The pypes mid-muffler kit with the axle back deletes is about is loud as you are going to get without deleting the stock cats, which you've found out takes you into a whole different ball game of volume. Short tube headers aren't going to do much for volume or tone really.

The only thing I could really suggest for a bit more volume would be to try a different set of mid-mufflers. There are quite a few bullet style mufflers on the market. But honestly if you are mostly satisfied with the current setup I'd leave it be. If you go chasing a tad more you could end up too loud, raspy, or with drone.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Yeah makes sense... I already threw away $200 for nothing... headers was the last resort but thats $300 that are not worth the improvement i guess haha thanks!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

this is my set up. sorry I don't have an exterior vid
Old 10-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Daniel Aguilar

How different are the Pypes cats vs the magnaflows?
Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Aguilar
How different are the Pypes cats vs the magnaflows?
don't know I never had the Pypes cats.