4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cam Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Mark Dean

Default Cam Questions

Hi guys and gals, I did check the different forums here before asking this question, but I may have overlooked it so I apologize in advance if I did. A chain of events happened since I last posted so that's why i'm asking these questions. My mustang started missing even worse then while sitting at a long stoplight, antifreeze started steaming up around the car so i pulled over and antifreeze was blowing out of the back of the intake aswel as upfront by the water crossover.
I took off the intake and found it had been recently re-gasketed and has tons of black RTV glue. Ended up being cracked all over the place and damn near broke in half at the crossover. So...I'm going to get a intake, cams gears, chains, tensioners Etc...
I was told by my friend to order everything for a Cobra of the same year instead of Stage 1 cams and components. As i said before i'm having the new exhaust put on soon aswel as 410 gears. Would the Cobra parts be the same as Stage 1?
Thanks for your time
Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If the GT in your avatar pic is the car we're talking about then no, nothing Cobra will work for you.

Intake manifold replacement on these cars is fairly simple, if that's all you need to do.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:53 AM
Mark Dean

Hi yes it's the Mustang in my avatar, ok I'm glad I asked ! Your right, it really wasn't that difficult to remove the intake. It was pretty much self explanatory and I made a fuel line tool out of a plastic tube that I sliced down the middle, worked real slick ! Are there any cheaper brands of cam manufactures that have the components I need ?, most seem to be pretty pricey. ��
Thanks Again !
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Mark Dean
Hi yes it's the Mustang in my avatar, ok I'm glad I asked ! Your right, it really wasn't that difficult to remove the intake. It was pretty much self explanatory and I made a fuel line tool out of a plastic tube that I sliced down the middle, worked real slick ! Are there any cheaper brands of cam manufactures that have the components I need ?, most seem to be pretty pricey. ��
Thanks Again !
if you are doing cams i recommend doing new springs and retainers as well. no "cheap" way of doing cams correctly...plus the install $$ if you cant do them yourself, which i dont recommend for a novice
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Mark Dean

Yeah no way i'd attempt to do the cams myself, it took me 2hrs to get the intake off with no prior knowledge Lol...So like Trick Flow or Comp Cams ?.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Before we can get into recommending cams... What are your goals, budget, intended use of the car etc? As WhiteFox said, paying somebody else (preferably one who knows wtf they're doing, bad things can result if they don't) will not be cheap. And there are a few other things you will need besides the camshafts themselves. You are looking at easily $1000 - $1200 just in boxes of stuff dropped off by the UPS man.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:57 PM
Mark Dean

Good questions, this car will be a daily driver and a weekend stoplight to stoplight racer. I won't be using it for any long road trips so lots of low end grunt will be my main goal. An occasional run at the local 1/8th mile strip won't be out of the question either. I have the factory size 245/45/17 tires on it now and will keep that size on the rear but will go a little narrower up front. Not sure about headers, heard they are a real Azz to put on and don't really do that much.
Thanks !
Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Full bolt ons and cams will net you about 300-310whp. Will cost you a ton of money in parts and labor. And you will definitely need something better than 245s. I wouldn't go much narrower than factory size up front. You can fit a 275/40 on stock wheels
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Mark Dean

Dang, maybe I should of went with the Foxbody? Had no idea these Mod engine's were so expensive to juice up. Well maybe I'll get on the Classifieds here and see what's available in used item's. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Cam Questions

Mark Dean, Listen to Z28 KLR and WhiteFoxGT. I have been down this road, and it is very bumpy and expensive. I do all my own work and what you are talking about runs about $4,000.29. That plus all the little items you can't even begin to think about. There is no skimping on this project.