V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Simonellida

Default Need help!

I was driving, next thing you know my headlights get real bright, my dash lights get bright, my gauges go wild, and my radio shuts off! Shortly after all this has happened a loud pop in the inside of the car, later found out the radio blew, still don’t know why, but then the car completely died! So towed home, put new battery and alternator fired right up, but I shut it off and the fan continues to run? Also now finding that my headlights don’t work, but my markers and high beams work? And I checked the radio plug for power, and it has power so I plug in a new radio and the pop noise happened again, blew another one, so I tried a third time, put another radio in and tried to turn it on, but blew again? I’m so stumped idk what to try, hopefully someone can help, thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Got a short somewhere...probably a frayed wire. No idea where. Probably blew more fuses than you think...id check them all.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Do you have the mach stereo, if so could be a shorted amp.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Simonellida

Checked all fuses, haven’t had a chance to look through the wires
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
MrFstBk

Sounds like a wire shorted. Start under the hood and smell for burnt plastic/electronics smell. It's low tech, I know, but actually works sometimes.