General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Canadian GT

Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM
swodo

Default Canadian GT

Just purchased a 2011 GT Convertible. Two questions:
Is there a site that I can get the rear axle ratio from the VIN?
Being a Canadian car the speedometer backing is primarily in KPH. Is it expensive to have this changed this to the American version?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swodo
Just purchased a 2011 GT Convertible. Two questions:
Is there a site that I can get the rear axle ratio from the VIN?
Being a Canadian car the speedometer backing is primarily in KPH. Is it expensive to have this changed this to the American version?
I am pretty sure Ford's system of info as presented on the VIN tag is standardized, meaning the code expressed for the axle ratio should be consistent with all published data. Unfortunately, I have no data beyond 1995, and it would be folly to assume codes have remained unchanged.
You can search the Ford vin label on-line, determine the codes appropriate to your vehicle, OR

you can determine the axle ratio yourself, if you don't mind groveling around with the car raised up. Lift one rear wheel off the ground, supporting the vehicle of course. Grasp the tire and attempt to rotate it. If it turns easily, you have either: a non-locking rear axle, or a worn-out locking axle. If it won't turn, raise BOTH rear wheels. Mark a chalk line on a tire, adjacent to the ground. Have a confederate (or yourself) turn the driveshaft (in NEUTRAL) paying attention to #of turns, while you watch that chalk mark. The number of driveshaft turns to produce ONE tire revolution is the gear ratio. This description is for a LOCKING differential only.

Going back to one tire off the ground, turns freely: Count # of driveshaft turns to achieve ONE tire rotation. Divide that number by 2: that's the gear ratio. imp
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

MPH backing are like $20; search & you will find tons.
If i still had my American Mustang, i would trade you, cause mine was MPH, & trying to read the KPH was near impossible haha

... I was looking for a backing that was KPH-only (or with big KPH #s, and there were none online;
i traded my 2006 mustang this summer,
but there are lots online & instructions probably)

Last edited by Gravydog316; 10-20-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Search this Thread