Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

help winters comming

Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Grace2017eco

Default help winters comming

hey all. i have a 2017 ecoboost putting about 375 to the wheels. i need winter tires that would put the power down while giving me good traction in cold and wet conditions.looking to spend no more than 200 pre tires any ideas and suggestions would be great...i live in nj so winters a really cold. even at night time now with temps at about 48 to 56 degrees the stock summer tires are just spinning on launch at full boost.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

P-Zero's? Are you looking for a second set of tires for the cooler months only? Do you need much snow/slush capability?

I wouldn't count on a true winter tire standing up all that well to the kind of driving you want to still be able to do, and an all-season won't do it either (they do more things sort of OK than summer tires can, but they're not outstandingly good at any of them).

You probably don't want to hear this, but what these cooling temperatures are trying to tell you is that it's time to park that drag-racing mindset for the winter and learn to drive within the limits of the tire grip that you do have. Or will have, with whatever tires you decide on. Spring and summer will come again.

I'm even going to suggest sucking your pride up and running a more conservative tune if you don't have the snow/wet mode available. Maybe even if you do. Too much throttle response too soon is NOT your friend in the cold or the wet, never mind both together. Just so you know, I've got over 50 winters' driving experience, my wife has over 45, and we've managed quite well.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-26-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:05 PM
S550.matt

I'm sure you've picked up tires by now, but I fully agree with Norm. I just put some Bridgestone Blizzak's on mine, but seeing as we got our first snow this week, I've been keeping easy on the throttle (which is extremely hard since I just passed the engine break in period and got a fresh oil change two weeks ago!). They're gripping the road perfectly fine though and I can still give it a little throttle on straight aways without feeling like I'm losing any grip.

Spring will come again, and at that point I'll find a good performance tire to replace the P ZeroNero all seasons that came on it.

Search this Thread