Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Front Crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Grouper
1st Gear Member

Question Front Crossmember

Is it safe to jack the front of the car with this???? Thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Crossmember

Grouper, To avoid jacking my 2014 GT from the front. A trick I learned, circle racing is to jack the car from the side, like NASCAR pit crews do. I also installed "frame rail extenders" so I can jack from almost any point. To specifically answer your question, it may be OK, but I would avoid any lifting from the front end suspension items. Can you jack from your front frame rail from the side?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:34 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Grouper, To avoid jacking my 2014 GT from the front. A trick I learned, circle racing is to jack the car from the side, like NASCAR pit crews do. I also installed "frame rail extenders" so I can jack from almost any point. To specifically answer your question, it may be OK, but I would avoid any lifting from the front end suspension items. Can you jack from your front frame rail from the side?
What is meant by frame rail, on these "frameless" cars? My '94 has very small notches at front and back, where the jack is intended to lift under, part of a sheetmetal ridge about 3/4 inch high. When lifting there, the entire sheetmetal bends upwards quite a bit. Too much to keep me happy. Still, I have always lifted from the side, from way back when Ford used massive perimeter frame rails. imp
Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Crossmember

IMP, you caught me again. "frame rail extenders" is a term we used when doing serious suspension upgrades on our sexties Camaros.
What I meant in Mustang parlance was "Subframe Connectors."
Sorry, just another Senior moment.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Grouper
1st Gear Member

I have printed out a lot of jacking points for the car. The center of front cross member is one. I use a block of wood, cut out to fit in the jack pad, or a folded up large wash cloth, both work well. Thanks for your input....