4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Using water for coolant. Will it freeze and cause damage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 PM
SoloDecarlo

Default Using water for coolant. Will it freeze and cause damage?

just had my motor rebuilt not too long ago and since then, I’ve been using water as coolant.

im currently away from home for the next two weeks and I see the temperature at home is dropping to a low of 28 at night time. Will that cause any major damage? During the day, the temperatures range from 50-70 degrees. First thing I’ll likely do is replace the water with actual coolant when I get home. Just hoping this won’t cause any damage
Old 11-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by SoloDecarlo
just had my motor rebuilt not too long ago and since then, I’ve been using water as coolant.

im currently away from home for the next two weeks and I see the temperature at home is dropping to a low of 28 at night time. Will that cause any major damage? During the day, the temperatures range from 50-70 degrees. First thing I’ll likely do is replace the water with actual coolant when I get home. Just hoping this won’t cause any damage
Yes it can freeze if it's parked outside and yes it could cause major damage. Break a hose, crack a radiator, or even pop a head gasket. Water expands as it freezes and the hydraulic force it has is enough to do that. At the very least you'll pop a freeze plug.

Why are you only using water in cooling system and not anti-freeze with it? Antifreeze also has a number of anticorrosion additives to prevent rust, corrosion and pitting of interior engine parts. It would suck that the engine you just had rebuilt fails in under a year or two because it rots from the inside out....
Old 11-15-2017, 04:33 PM
SoloDecarlo

I don’t think the reasoning is important whatsoever but if you must know.. we rebuilt and took it for a run, it had a major leak and all the coolant would dumb under pressure. We had done the troubleshooting to find the leak using water which was done while I was waiting on my work screw to come get me. Based on the pm I just received, I likely won’t gave much to worry about but thanks for your input. I’ll likely send someone by to add coolant and I’ll just flush the system when I get back
Old 11-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Using water for coolant. Will it freeze and cause damage

Solo, in support of what Derf00 has stated, I would also recommend that whoever you send to add the anti-freeze be able to start the engine, and also turn on the heater. Why, because you also want anti-freeze in the block and throughout the entire cooling system. As Derf00 stated, this could turn into a very costly learning experience if not attended to immediately.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:40 PM
Loumonsta

Originally Posted by Derf00
Yes it can freeze if it's parked outside and yes it could cause major damage. Break a hose, crack a radiator, or even pop a head gasket. Water expands as it freezes and the hydraulic force it has is enough to do that. At the very least you'll pop a freeze plug.

Why are you only using water in cooling system and not anti-freeze with it? Antifreeze also has a number of anticorrosion additives to prevent rust, corrosion and pitting of interior engine parts. It would suck that the engine you just had rebuilt fails in under a year or two because it rots from the inside out....
How far do I have to drop the transmission to access the freez plugs