Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Fix or replace and if replace, with what

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 02:26 PM
JSabah

Default Fix or replace and if replace, with what

i have a 2008 mustang convertible with a 6 cyl 4.0 (n engine). The timing belt recently broke apart and did some damage. My mechanic, who I've used for a long time and have no reason not to trust suggested that if it is fixed (at substantial cost $4k-4.5k), I will still have a motor wit 130,000 miles on it and that I should consider replacing the engine for a small amount more (if even). I do not want any upgrades (as my daughter drives the car). It seems reasonable to me to swap the engines, but not for a used one. At the least a rebuilt engine but more likely a remanufactured engine. I've heard and read terrible reviews about the highly advertised remanufactureing companies (Remanns, powertrain, Atkins etc.) Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Also considering, just getting rid of the car and buying a new car, but my daughter loves this one and doesn't want anything else ...
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 PM
JimC

The 4.0 doesn't use a timing belt - it has chains on the front and back but yes, if one broke you will have engine damage.

The 4.0 is inexpensive and cheaper to simply replace it than it is to try to fix one. Getting the timing set up is very tricky too.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:31 PM
JimC

And a replacement will cost you a lot less than your mechanic quoted you for a repair.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:22 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Trusting a mechanic who proves to be less than "up-front" with you proves that trusting a time-honored friend can prove to be folly.

Timing "belts" are a long-gone problem. Aside from that, the repair, to keep the vehicle viable and usable for time to come, is certainly expensive.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:46 PM
JSabah

Originally Posted by JimC
And a replacement will cost you a lot less than your mechanic quoted you for a repair.
Thanks for the replies. JimC, where would one find a reliable replacement? I have read a lot of neg comments about the above mentioned suppliers.....found a reconditioned one thru fordparts.c at the dealership for just over 2800. Where else would one look? Thanks again
Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Check any junkyard.

That same motor was used in Rangers, Explorers, and Mountaineers.

Very common..
Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 AM
JSabah

Originally Posted by movielover40
Check any junkyard.

That same motor was used in Rangers, Explorers, and Mountaineers.

Very common..
Was hoping not to put someone else's problems in my car ... Looking for remanufactured or rebuilt by a reputable engine builders the least.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:23 AM
JimC

I had good luck with LKQ - you get a 6 month warranty with them on the engine.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by imp
Trusting a mechanic who proves to be less than "up-front" with you proves that trusting a time-honored friend can prove to be folly.

Timing "belts" are a long-gone problem. Aside from that, the repair, to keep the vehicle viable and usable for time to come, is certainly expensive.
There are no friends in business or business with friends....
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JimC
I had good luck with LKQ - you get a 6 month warranty with them on the engine.
Yep, that's what the local dealers use for things like their transmissions. I a local dealer put an LKQ 5r55s to replace the blown factory transmission in mine. Came with 3 yr unlimited miles warranty so I can't complain.

Quick Reply: Fix or replace and if replace, with what