Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Norlin4.0

Default Transmission Help!

Hello I just pulled my 5r55s transmission out of my 05V6. I rebuilt it and it is already under the car no I don’t have a lift it is sitting on 4 jack stands and the transmission is sitting on a jack with a wood in the middle so it doesn’t breaks my Transmission Fluid Pan. I never took off the torque converter so it still sits there but somehow I can’t get my transmission to go in all the way. the input shaft goes inside the torque converter and it gets pretty close but not close enough to even thread the bolts in a little bit. Am I doing something wrong is there some kind of trick to it? Please help and thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

How did you rebuild the Tranny without removing the torque converter??? That's like the first thing that has to be pulled for a rebuild, then the Tranny pump....

As for why you can't get it back together, if the Torque converter isn't seated properly or fully on the trans pump it will stick out. Preventing you from joining the transmission and engine together.

Take the torque converter and by hand, gently turn it while pushing against it, towards the tranny. If it's not seated all the way or properly, you'll feel it when you get to the right spot.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Norlin4.0

Default I did I think I got my mistake tell me if I’m wrong...

Originally Posted by Derf00
How did you rebuild the Tranny without removing the torque converter??? That's like the first thing that has to be pulled for a rebuild, then the Tranny pump....

As for why you can't get it back together, if the Torque converter isn't seated properly or fully on the trans pump it will stick out. Preventing you from joining the transmission and engine together.

Take the torque converter and by hand, gently turn it while pushing against it, towards the tranny. If it's not seated all the way or properly, you'll feel it when you get to the right spot.
so.... I did remove all 4 bolts but when I pulled the tranny back the torque converter stayed in place so I just put the bolts back on since it’s so damn heavy ( I have been trying to hook up the input shaft to the torque converter. ) that’s where I’m wrong right I have to put the torque converter on the tranny and then slide it in?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norlin4.0
so.... I did remove all 4 bolts but when I pulled the tranny back the torque converter stayed in place so I just put the bolts back on since it’s so damn heavy ( I have been trying to hook up the input shaft to the torque converter. ) that’s where I’m wrong right I have to put the torque converter on the tranny and then slide it in?
TC (torque converter) stayed in place...on the engine side? It's heavy because it's got a metal shell and typically two or more quarts of fluid in it

Yes, both the TC and the Input shaft need to be installed on the tranny side when you put it back together.

This should help you. If you click on the images, they are captioned.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ssion-install/

Alignment as you mate the two is also critical. You may want to find a way to be able to ever so slightly raise/lower the rear of the tranny to help you align things as you push them together.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Norlin4.0

Default Thanks man

TC (torque converter) stayed in place...on the engine side? It's heavy because it's got a metal shell and typically two or more quarts of fluid in it

Yes, both the TC and the Input shaft need to be installed on the tranny side when you put it back together.

This should help you. If you click on the images, they are captioned.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...ssion-install/

Alignment as you mate the two is also critical. You may want to find a way to be able to ever so slightly raise/lower the rear of the tranny to help you align things as you push them together.
I removed the torque converter from the flywheel and put it in the tranny nice and smooth until it clicked in place and now it was much easier to eat the tranny in place appreciate it man
Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Norlin4.0
I removed the torque converter from the flywheel and put it in the tranny nice and smooth until it clicked in place and now it was much easier to eat the tranny in place appreciate it man
No worries!

Be sure when you're connecting the round harness back into/onto the outside of the tranny just above the pan, that it is fully seated and none of the wires are pinched. The top 10mm bolt only gets torqued to 89 inch/lbs. Anymore and you could crack it or damage the solenoid pack. Any less and it could wiggle free a bit and create all sorts of shifting problems.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Norlin4.0

No worries!

Be sure when you're connecting the round harness back into/onto the outside of the tranny just above the pan, that it is fully seated and none of the wires are pinched. The top 10mm bolt only gets torqued to 89 inch/lbs. Anymore and you could crack it or damage the solenoid pack. Any less and it could wiggle free a bit and create all sorts of shifting problems.
thanks I did just as you said 89 inch pounds
Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Norlin4.0

Default ALL DONE

First of all a big thanks to everyone that replied thanks a lot for reals I wouldn’t have been able to put it back in if it wasn’t for y’all Tranny is in and it’s working Flawlessly

(I think I can call myself a mechanic)

or not yet...