Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Grinding noise coming from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Gyroshark

Default Grinding noise coming from engine bay?

So I have a 2007 Mustang V6, its an auto with 130k miles on it. I've had this really weird grinding sound coming from the engine bay. Happens during cold starts mostly. Once the engine warms up it goes away for the most part. I can only hear it again if I rev the car hard then it becomes extremely high pitched whirring sound.

Heres a video of it
This is a cold start

So far I replaced, belt, belt tension-er, idle pulley, and steering pump.

Thats all I've done so far. I'm at a loss here. Thanks for any kind of insight if ya have any! I think it may be the alternator if nothing else?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Gyroshark

Oh another note, I have taken the belt off and started the engine on its own. The grinding noise is still there so its definitely none of the components it seems. So ignore the alternator part woops! Someone in another thread on reddit said that it might be the oil pump failing? My car is the super base model so I dont even have an oil gauge. I'm most likely going to go get one though today to test it out. Cheers!
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Doubt very much it is coming from the oil pump. Check the harmonic balancer. It is the the part of the bottom drive pulley on the crankshaft. It is made up of two pieces the outer ring can move due to age,see if the outer ring moved back it maybe rubbing on the engine.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 AM
hidesert07

Serpentine belt tensioner or idler?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Gyroshark

Ok so I went and checked on that and it seems to be in really good shape actually. May have been replaced by the last owner, I'm not sure. But here it is. I also recorded more video. The noise sounds like its coming from the back of the engine on the passenger side. Maybe its a timing chain? Though I've heard those almost never fail, unlike a belt. Heres the link to the playlist of videos: Playlist

Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Gyroshark

Originally Posted by hidesert07
Serpentine belt tensioner or idler?
I swapped both out. But I also removed the belt, started the car, and the noise was still there. So I dont think it has to do with any of those components.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Well you already know the timing chain is behind the left rear cylinder head. I have done a lot of timing chains in my day,but never on the mustang and I would hate to because any servicing the engine has to come out. "Ford has a better idea" I think they need to pull their head out of their ***.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Gyroshark

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
Well you already know the timing chain is behind the left rear cylinder head. I have done a lot of timing chains in my day,but never on the mustang and I would hate to because any servicing the engine has to come out. "Ford has a better idea" I think they need to pull their head out of their ***.
This is just so confusing because the car drives absolutely fine. Theres no loss of power, nothing. Its just an annoying sound. It also happens only in winter when its cold, as soon as ya drive the car for 5min it quiets down. I feel like if it were a chain it would have busted itself by now considering I've been carefully driving it for the past couple months with this sound. And it seems no one else has had this issue. Whats weird is that this noise started to happen after I changed the spark plugs on the car. Thats when I first noticed it, a high pitched whien in the higher RPM's. I know its not the trans, because the trans was just serviced by a dealership. I guess I'll just keep trying forums?
Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 PM
hidesert07

Use a stetoscope or just a long scredriver to probe the engine for the noise source.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:28 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

what side is the starter on, could the gear not be fully disengaging at start up?

Quick Reply: Grinding noise coming from engine bay?