Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2016 GT/CS Hood Paint Bubbling and Peeling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Robert Ennis

Question 2016 GT/CS Hood Paint Bubbling and Peeling Issue

I recently noticed that the front of my hood is bubbling up on both sides of my hood and has started to peel on the driver side. My car is still covered by the Bumper to Bumper warranty but I am wondering if Ford will fix the issue. I've seem some varying opinions on if Ford will cover it under the warranty as I don't know if its currently would be considered "perforated due to corrosion" as the warranty states is required and as others have said Ford used to deny coverage. I've also seen that this a common problem on some of the older models but I haven't found anyone else with a 2015+ with this problem. I have attached pictures of the two areas of concern.

Any and all advice would be helpful. I plan to take it to my dealership but want to do as much research as I can before hand as I fear an uphill battle getting this fixed by Ford.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 GT/CS Hood Paint Bubbling and Peeling Issue-driverside.jpg   2016 GT/CS Hood Paint Bubbling and Peeling Issue-passengerside.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

All the advice in the world isn't going to solve this problem until you take it to your Ford dealer and see what they will do. Chances are if you have a good relationship with them, they will take care of you.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

They sure as hell should fix that. There is warranty against defects in paint, just not for wear and tear.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
They sure as hell should fix that. There is warranty against defects in paint, just not for wear and tear.
Ford won't fix them,
(depends on the dealer too,)
but they aren't covering it, most of the time.

(apparently, its because of the way the paint sticks to the metal, & the paint coats are too thin)
my 2006 is actually better than a 2018. theres not a flaw in any of my paint, & just wash it with rags & water & dry it.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
surfergirltg

there are a whole lot more newer Mustangs out there with the same problem .Good luck with getting Ford to fix your problem.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

there's a rust warranty which is pretty extensive. They can sand and repaint the hood and you'd never see that issue again. Maybe one of the painter robots was having a bad day.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:10 PM
IwantaGT350

Same problem with my 15...
Old 01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
alwaysfords41

The paint to aluminum adhesion issue has been around for a long time, Expeditions going back to 2003 and up through current models have it on the tailgates and hoods. I have had 5 Expeditions and all but one have had it, currently still own two of those and they both have it. The 2012 was fixed under warranty, and has it again. The 2010 has it, and in both cases they will not entertain fixing either. My 2016 Mustang has it, and is going into the shop to have a new hood put on. If it is any indication how many of these they are doing, the hood was on back order.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
IwantaGT350

Wow sounds like a major issue for ford. Hope they take this customer feedback into account.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:36 PM
surfergirltg

Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
The paint to aluminum adhesion issue has been around for a long time, Expeditions going back to 2003 and up through current models have it on the tailgates and hoods. I have had 5 Expeditions and all but one have had it, currently still own two of those and they both have it. The 2012 was fixed under warranty, and has it again. The 2010 has it, and in both cases they will not entertain fixing either. My 2016 Mustang has it, and is going into the shop to have a new hood put on. If it is any indication how many of these they are doing, the hood was on back order.
Yes , I also have hood corrosion on my 2005 Mustang .Sad thing is mine started under the hood working its way slowly to the top before I noticed it and by then the warranty had run out on my mustang.The thing is I also have the water leak issued that alot of other Mustang owners are dealing with.I am so lucky.... I always dreamed of owning a Mustang and now that I have one my dream has turned into a nightmare !

Quick Reply: 2016 GT/CS Hood Paint Bubbling and Peeling Issue