General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 mustang ac not cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 PM
kjesse198

Question 2001 mustang ac not cold

Hey guys, i just bought my first car/first mustang. And everything is pretty good on it, but the ac is not cold, it's like just a fan blowing outside air temp. So i was wondering if i should just buy like a can of freon if that would help the ac?

P.S. New to cars and pretty much everything about cars, but tell me what you guys think will help. thanks for reading!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 AM
nsguy

Worked for me on a 15 yr. old Chevy truck. I'm a cheap SOB and took the gamble. Been fine for over 3 yrs. Took a little over 2 cans. DON'T OVERFILL!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:03 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Your car, these days, should never need a recharge or refill. If it does, then there is/was a leak.
The system is sealed, and the refrigerant does not get consumed, get old, nor does it lose potency
if the system remains sealed. The leaks DO NOT get smaller, and increase in severity over time.
If your system will not hold a charge for at least two weeks, then it is advisable to seek professional
assistance to find and repair the leak. SuperSeal may work...

Have you verified that the compressor turns on when you have the A/C on? The cooling fan will still
kick in, but the compressor may not.

IF you have to refill it, check to see how many pounds you are to add, there should be a label with the
Kg to add, just covert that to pounds, and buy the nn Ounce recharge kit. If you need another bottle,
there are different sizes.

Always fill with the A/C on and the car idling. Should be no more than 40lbs reading
on the gauge once full. You connect to the low pressure side of the system, which
is the only fitting the kit will plug on to. IF the compressor never turns on while
filling, then something else is wrong. That could be from it does not hold R134a, or
there is a bad sensor, fuse or relay.

If the compressor is ON, and it is not blowing cold air, then more then likely the compressor
is not doing its job, or the dryer is clogged.

I use the new Synthetic 134a.

I keep seeing: " Because this system is pressurized kind of like a tire it will need to be recharged as it ages. "
That's not true... You have to either have a leak, or contamination.

You can always try a recharge, and make sure it holds for at least two weeks... Someone
could have replaced the condenser, and never refilled it, or did something to evac the
system by accident, who knows...
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Have it done professionally, You may have a leak or defective part. Waste of money guessing how much Freon to put in only to have it leak down again. There is a reason why it is not working.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 AM
kjesse198

Thanks for the great help! very appreciated.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 PM
kjesse198

So i recently tried to refill the ac, when i did the pressure went to the green zone and the compresser never engaged, i had the ac on max and the fan on high. I checked the fuses and all were good, but i couldn't find a relay anywhere in the fuse box, just regular mini fuses.

So what do you guys think this could be? and how can i test/check to see if it's doing it's job.

Last edited by kjesse198; 02-20-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

The AC relay is a "non-serviceable" component in the CCRM.

I'm not sure if the "green zone" is enough to allow the compressor to kick on. A more reliable way to check compressor operation is to jump the contacts on the low pressure switch.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kjesse198
So i recently tried to refill the ac, when i did the pressure went to the green zone and the compresser never engaged, i had the ac on max and the fan on high. I checked the fuses and all were good, but i couldn't find a relay anywhere in the fuse box, just regular mini fuses.

So what do you guys think this could be? and how can i test/check to see if it's doing it's job.
Unless you are using a Manifold gauge set to check both high and low side pressure of the AC system, it could be a ton of different things.

The low side pressure alone on a non-operational AC system tells you nothing about system health. It just tells you that you are registering in the green zone and is completely useless to tell if you even have sufficient gas in the system.

It would be best to go to a pro for at least a diagnosis. $80 to at least tell you what's wrong instead of $80+ potentially (Cost of a manifold gauge set, leak check kit and your time) and still be left with a nonfunctional system.