5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Torque converter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 AM
sewerrat

Default Torque converter question

AOD trans is from a 90 gt 5.0. After removal I noticed these marks on the t/converter from the flexplate mtg bolts. They're not that deep but I'm concerned about it b/c I've never seen this before. Should I be, maybe add shims between the flexplate to t/converter mtg studs? Thanks in advance. Also how do I resize my uploaded photos from my Droid tablet.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

maybe a shim, but I don't think the outside of the converter spins at all.
Had an AOD in my 93 Tbird, big ole power sucking thing. Nothing beats a manual
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

The converter bolts directly to the flexplate, so the converter does "spin" with the engine, but not against it. So it won't grind.

I don't know much about torque converters, but I don't think it's supposed to contact the flexplate-to-crankshaft bolts like that. That's what that recess in the TC is for, isn't it? I wonder if this might be indicative of what they call "ballooning":
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Puddle lights?

sewerrat, I like your handle. That picture paints a very scary scenario. Please check the part numbers to make sure you have the correct torque converter and flex plate combination. I would not do any shimming back there unless you wear steel shoes. The flex plate is equal to a buzz saw and will eat you up. I saw, at a national event, what not having the right converter and flexplate combination will do to the human body. Also, I would suggest using ARP hardware on the converter and flexplate. The AOD in OEM form is a big piece of crap to begin with. And before the boys jump into my socks, yes, after being highly modified/upgraded they will behave pretty well. I will take a C-4 any day of the week over a AOD.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 PM
sewerrat

I bought this 90 gt for $300 for the 5.0 and drive train to transplant into my 84 v6. I've already rebuilt and swapped in the 8.8 and took the larger sway bars. the body is shot and and will be going to the scrap metal yard soon. the owner drove it to my house and said as far as he knows everything is original. I"ll see if I can find the ford stamping to verify if its OEM. I've taken off many trans from engines before both import and domestic and never saw this before so I wanted your opinion. the vehicle odometer stated 27K so I'm guessing 227K.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:20 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sewerrat
AOD trans is from a 90 gt 5.0. After removal I noticed these marks on the t/converter from the flexplate mtg bolts. They're not that deep but I'm concerned about it b/c I've never seen this before. Should I be, maybe add shims between the flexplate to t/converter mtg studs? Thanks in advance. Also how do I resize my uploaded photos from my Droid tablet.
Make certain there are NO WASHERS used under the bolt heads securing the flexplate to the crankshaft. The bolts "squeeze the center part of the flexplate very tightly against the crankshaft flange, while the 4 studs on the converter "squeeze" the converter very tightly against the converter face. It is possible the flexplate is distorted, causing the bolt heads to be impressed against the converter front. Did you hear this combination run? If it was vibration-free, I would not hesitate to use the combination as-is, assuming the converter is trouble-free internally. Be aware that AOD uses a special converter, one of a kind, which uses TWO input shafts into the transmission, thereby allowing the converter to "free-wheel" in 3rd. and 4th. gears, the engine then driving the transmission coupled directly to it, bypassing the converter. imp
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

To add to the recommendation of ARP bolts,some Loctite on those bolts would also be on my checklist.If you have to pull the trans for any reason,add some to the driveshaft bolts too.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:53 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Default Problem Was Described In A TSB # 92-18-6

I was just browsing thru some American Muscle tech and noticed they had some TSB's listed,so I looked thru them.It turns out,your problem seems to be talked about in one of those bulletins.Numerous models were listed,including the 82-90 AOD Mustangs.It stated,the torque converter flexed enough to create contact between the tc and flexplate bolts.A part number was listed for new flexplate bolts with a reduced head height.The TSB number is 92-18-6 and the part number for the bolts is F1ZZ-6379-A.
The app I use to view pdf's wont let me copy/paste a pdf or share it other than by email,so if you wanna download the 2 page pdf for this TSB,click the link below,scroll down to the ( Foxbody Mustang Technical Service Bulletins ) section,locate the 92-18-6 link in blue and click it to download the pdf.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/foxbo...nfo-specs.html

Last edited by wbrockstar; 03-22-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:01 AM
sewerrat

Thanks for the research. The whole article got some good info, the tsb sounds spot on. I'll definitely check that thrust bearing.

Last edited by sewerrat; 03-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:22 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

I figured out how to share the pdfs with my gallery,so just in case another member or guest runs into this same issue,the pdfs are shown in image form below (to prevent anyone from having to go search for them seperately.
Attached Thumbnails Torque converter question-92-18-6_1.png   Torque converter question-92-18-6_2.png