Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v 4.6l upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 04:55 AM
S197Stephen

Default 3v 4.6l upgrade

First post from a long time lurker.
So i have a 08 mustang gt with a paxton supercharger. Right now I'm at the upper 400 hp to the ground and have just been waiting for the right opportunity to bulletproof the engine so I can swap the pully out and bump those numbers up. I really cannot decide between getting a whole new long block or building up the engine from a built short block. I'm really just looking to see what the smartest way to go about it would be. I'm doing a lot of research on my own but I keep finding one thing after another that change my mind entirely.

Thanks!

-I have no interest in getting a new mustang so "just buy a new one" isn't something I want
-budget is around 10,000 for the project.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:32 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Sorry, but if you have $10,000 for a project, you CAN buy another one...
Doesn't need to be, NEW, but another built 2008...

Not sure if crate has another motor you can build... 10K will definately
get you what you want, but you got to weight the pros and cons.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:42 AM
S197Stephen

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
Sorry, but if you have $10,000 for a project, you CAN buy another one...
Doesn't need to be, NEW, but another built 2008...

Not sure if crate has another motor you can build... 10K will definately
get you what you want, but you got to weight the pros and cons.
Thats a view point I never even thought about exploring. I only meant I didn't want a new model mustang. I'll look into that. Thanks for that point of view!

I do not trust myself enough to build my own short block up so it's something I'm sourcing. I've received quotes for using the FRPP 5.3l stroker short block and building my engine up from there. Everything included from breaking in the engine, head work, and tune it was about 11,000. I'm not opposed to the idea, it seems a little up there but thats 7k in parts alone. I'm willing to pull the trigger on this I just wanted to get opinions of what other people have done/ thought of doing before I have buyers remorse a few years down the road.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 3v 4.6l upgrade

S197Stephen, if you want to feel like a young boy in a candy store check out this web site, it will bring tears of joy to your eyes. www.modularmotorsportsracing.com. Also, some of the 4.6l crowd are replacing the 4.6l with the 5.4l. But I would check out MMR first because they have long and short blocks. You could transfer many of your current items over to the MMR short block, saving some money. Call MMR for specific information: 805-383-4130. Hope this info helps.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:36 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

MMR doesn't have the greatest customer experience. Id be careful if you went that route. I guess I wouldn't source any work to them is what I'm getting at. If you build your current motor I would suggest swapping the gears in the oil pump for billet gears.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 3v 4.6l upgrade

S197Stephen I have the greatest respect for outceltj,s opinion concerning MMR. He probably has a legitimate beef with MMR. I recommended MMR due to the fact that I have competed in many NMRA events and the cars with MMR engines were very impressive. I am a competition engine builder and always roam the pits asking questions about experiences, people have had, with other engine builders. Here is a statement from MMR which holds a lot of truth. The MMR modular short blocks have certainly been around longer than most other companies currently in business. With that said you are certainly going to hear "stories" and internet opinions. When you sell as many engines as our company does you are bound to hear things, you can find something bad on the internet about ANY company if you look for it, lets face it, the more you build the more you are going to hear about. This certainly however does not mean that an engine failure is a result of the builder. Take a look at John force racing for example, a failure is common EVERY other run, this certainly does not mean the engine builder did a poor job. Like John Force Racing or any other team most failures are tune-up related or end user error (for example overheating, melted pistons etc). Online engine failures should always be questioned, all to often people need someone to blame, our point here is do your own research, look into reported failures and find facts, not opinions which are abundant.

Lets face it, engines fail often, factory engines failing is one reason we are in business, that certainly however doesnt mean that ford did a poor job!

Bottom line, companies like us don't fall to the top, they climb there. Our engines don't hold multiple world records, championships, and class records because we build poor engines. Undoubtedly however we are human, and can certainly make mistakes, this is why we have a 1 year warranty on ALL engines, we can also tell you that we have helped numerous customers when they were honest and told us they have made a tuning error or hooked up a oil line backwards, these things happen and we are all human.

To close, don't take our word for it, go to the tracks and see the NMCA coyote modified points leader and record holder, or perhaps the NMCA Renegade points leader and record holder, also the winner of this weekends NMCA outlaw 8.5, or even MMRs own team cars which own multiple championships and records. Don't stop there however, look at our 100% EBAY feedback since 2004 (many of which are engines), or our A+ rating with the BBB, on the BBB you will see not a SINGLE complaint about our engines. Lastly look at the link below, each review was copied from a public forum. Unfortunately on the internet today a negative review is heard louder than a positive one (whether it be a genuine assembly failure or not), we suggest you do your own homework and find facts, not internet hearsay and second hand information, afterall, the internet said we were all going to die last December and we all know how that worked out!

MMR Modular Mustang Racing Feedback product reviews customers satisfaction negative positive
Old 03-25-2018, 02:03 AM
S197Stephen

I have done a good amount of reading on them since I've heard about them. I feel like their response is very justified. I would do business with them.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 3v 4.6l upgrade

S197Stephen, I might be running the Foxbody at the NMRA/NMCA Nationals at Atlanta Dragway, Commerce, Georgia on April 5-8. If I make it, I will ask around and try to get more feedback about MMR. As usual, it is always your gut feeling you are left with. Best of wishes with whatever route you choose.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:14 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I personally do not have any history with MMR but I have read several threads about them. I have a good builder just north of me and use extensively for all my performance needs. Im actually getting ready to take my car back up north to get some more work done. After I said I was done. One thing to consider is that most people dropping 10k of their own money don't have sponsors in their back pockets to just throw a new engine in such as a guy like John Force or MMR. We are generally just normal people with a little extra income. I make a really good living doing what I do and if my motor to a dump today I would be very unhappy but would likely get it fixed depending on the damage. Some people actually finance the work which insane. I personally don't care who wins what. As long as they build good motors and use the parts they sell to customers in there own vehicles then great. Buck does make point as in there will always be customers who are not satisfied. Actually the shop I use gets a bad rap on another forum but they do have satsified guys there as well. It generally seems like when there is a problem its from guys who do a lot of the work on their own and probably don't have something right.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default 3v 4.6l upgrade

I totally agree with outceltj. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is sponsored and that is on me. I also agree with outceltj that if you have a trusted/qualified engine builder near by, to definitely use their services. If there are any issues, it is best to be able to sit down and talk things over with your engine builder. I started out 60 years ago and my strong point was that I always made myself available to my clientele. I remember when I campaigned my FX/B I couldn't afford to have my car lettered. I went to the local high school and asked who was the best letterer, and had him letter my car. Turned out he did such a nice job I kept the lettering on until I sold the car. One just never knows when new tallent will surface. Stay safe and best of wishes to everyone.

Quick Reply: 3v 4.6l upgrade