V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Mustang acceleration issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Toxxin

Default Mustang acceleration issues

So, after a lot of research and searching through forums, I’ve given up and decided to post on here. So here’s the problem: My mustang has trouble getting up to speed when I’m pushing the accelerator down about half way. I took it to AutoZone and it gave me 3 codes which were the following, throttle position sensor low circuit, engine overheat sensed, and engine overheat mode. I fixed the overheating issue which was a hose that I blew while accelerating, now the TPS I replaced before even diagnosing the code. I haven’t gotten my codes reset either. When I start the car I get a really rough idle. I will provide videos of necessary but around 2.5k rpms my car basically sounds like it’s running out of fuel. Somebody told
me it could be the MAF and I’m going to clean it soon. Any ideas on why it could be?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Toxxin

Originally Posted by Toxxin
So, after a lot of research and searching through forums, I’ve given up and decided to post on here. So here’s the problem: My mustang has trouble getting up to speed when I’m pushing the accelerator down about half way. I took it to AutoZone and it gave me 3 codes which were the following, throttle position sensor low circuit, engine overheat sensed, and engine overheat mode. I fixed the overheating issue which was a hose that I blew while accelerating, now the TPS I replaced before even diagnosing the code. I haven’t gotten my codes reset either. When I start the car I get a really rough idle. I will provide videos of necessary but around 2.5k rpms my car basically sounds like it’s running out of fuel. Somebody told
me it could be the MAF and I’m going to clean it soon. Any ideas on why it could be?
I don’t know how to edit but my car is a 2001 3.8L with 106.5k
Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 AM
Toxxin

I would also like to mention that around 40-45 mph my car starts shaking back and forth but when I let go of the pedal it stops shaking. If I decide to go WOT my car responds by obviously lowering the gear and kicking up the rpms to about 5k I believe before shifting. It’s just the launch when I’m starting from 0mph or when I’m going 20-30 mph and I apply like 30-50% throttle
Old 04-19-2018, 05:51 AM
Toxxin

Automatic trans. Not able to burnout anymore due to this issue. It sounds like the engine is hogging and won’t go above 2k rpm