Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Nitto 555 issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM
steevesj

Default Nitto 555 issue

I just removed by "winter" tires on my 2013 Boss 302. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 285/35ZR19 on the rear and Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/40ZR19 on the front on the stock wheels. My "summer" tires on Shelby wheels are Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR 275/35/19 on all four. The Nittos are crazy loose on the back. I went driving today after I switched the wheels and if I give it even a little throttle going around a corner or accelerate a decent amount they spin. It is sunny and 67 degrees today. I don't get it. I really had to get on it to break the Michelins loose which are all season tires. I figured the Nitto would stick as well or better but I have no confidence they will stick in the corners as all. They only have about 1500 miles on them. Any ideas? Are the Nittos that bad?
Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

The Michelins are that good.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The NT555 is based on tire technology from 25 years ago, IOW ancient. It really has been around that long. They may improve a bit once you've driven on them a while.

Pilot Sport level Michelins really are that good.

Norm
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitto 555 issue

Fellow Forum Members, if you are using Nitto NT555 for anything but acceleration runs, you are using the wrong tires. For hard driving on the street, I am in full agreement that the Michelins are the tire of choice. I run the NITTO NT555 on the street because I am familiar with tire pressures, correct rim size, offset, etc., for putting the 555s to maximum use on the street. This is not the tire for beginners. But once mastered very hard to outperform. I almost took first place with my Nitto NT555 at three NMRA events and have no complaints. Lately, for full competition events, I am using NITTO NT05Rs and Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. I still haven't decided which tire I like best. I am in full agreement that the tire of choice for horsing around on the street is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

All the love has gone for the Nitto NT555 series it sounds like. a few years ago most user reviews were favorable.

I have Nitto NT555 Extremes on mine and love them (Not the new G2 version or the ZR version. The last of the first gen). If they are cold they do have grip issues but in the valley of the sun AZ they don't usually stay that way long. Between the typical ambient temps (except for two months out of the year) and my heavy foot, they warm up pretty quick and grip pretty well.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:26 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitto 555 issue

Derf00, since you mentioned the new NITTO NT555G2, here is a interesting statement from NITTO. Nitto Tire has given muscle car fans and the tire industry their first close-up look at the second generation of its popular NT555.
Nitto Tire U.S.A. staff engineer Andy Frank said the new tire stayed true to the roots of the original NT555, which was launched in 1996 and became popular with the sport compact racing scene before becoming the go-to tire of the American muscle car community.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE, NO REDUCTION IN TREAD LIFE
“We have literally changed everything,” Mr Frank said.

“It’s a new compound, new construction, it stops 20-feet shorter in the wet, it pulls over 1G on a skid pad for the new Ford Mustang GT and it gets the exact same mileage.”

“So we did not sacrifice tread life but we improved performance across the board.”

“We’ve taken all the latest greatest technology that we have available to us and applied it to that tire.”
Old 04-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Derf00, since you mentioned the new NITTO NT555G2, here is a interesting statement from NITTO. Nitto Tire has given muscle car fans and the tire industry their first close-up look at the second generation of its popular NT555.
Nitto Tire U.S.A. staff engineer Andy Frank said the new tire stayed true to the roots of the original NT555, which was launched in 1996 and became popular with the sport compact racing scene before becoming the go-to tire of the American muscle car community.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE, NO REDUCTION IN TREAD LIFE
“We have literally changed everything,” Mr Frank said.

“It’s a new compound, new construction, it stops 20-feet shorter in the wet, it pulls over 1G on a skid pad for the new Ford Mustang GT and it gets the exact same mileage.”

“So we did not sacrifice tread life but we improved performance across the board.”

“We’ve taken all the latest greatest technology that we have available to us and applied it to that tire.”
Thanks for the details. I may give the G2 a shot then. My two fronts need replacing and I while I prefer to have the same pattern on all four tires, I don't want to get old DOT numbers which is what's left with the original NT555 tires I have.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:29 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitto 555 issue

Derf00, you and Norm are correct about the "old" 555s. But after reading the issue I bloged, I am going to replace my NT555s, with a pair of NT555G2s on the 1987 Fox Body for playing on the street. I am running a "Staggered" set up, so I will keep the "Skennies" up front. I hope I didn't stick my foot in my mouth about these NT555G2s. For full competition, I am sticking with the NITTO NT05R. Maybe I will see you guys at the NMRA at Hebron, Ohio.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:52 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Continental extreme contacts are very good as well. Pricey but a tick below pilots.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:37 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Michelins-worth every penny. When my Nittos are used up (this set was free), I will be going back to Michelin. The 555 G2 is good, but Michelins are great.

Quick Reply: Nitto 555 issue