Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from brake caliper or brake booster (not vacuum pump)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:21 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Creaking noise from brake caliper or brake booster (not vacuum pump)?

I've had this creaking noise for at least a year. Sounds like it's coming from front left brake, but I tried lubing the caliper piston and it didn't go away. I read somewhere that it might be moving parts of the vacuum pump linkage, but I'm not sure how to locate and access that under the hood. Do I need to raise the front of the car?

The noise can be heard in this video.

Video creaky brake
Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Mine does the SAME thing, but mine is the front right brake. It's not a suspension component,
I can bounce the car and it won't make any noise. However, when coming to a stop, it makes the
noise, and much louder. Then, I can let up on the pedal, and push it down without moving the car
like you did, and the creaking is there just like yours. I plan on replacing the slide pins first, to see
if that's the issue...

It's not vacuum lines, not the booster. There is no vacuum pump, it's not a diesel.
Though, some trucks like my Silverado WT, have an AUX pump on the brake
booster, a vacuum assist.

I plan on doing the slide pins this weekend...
Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude

I plan on doing the slide pins this weekend...
When I lubed the piston, the slide pins felt good, assuming those are the same thing as the bolts that hold the caliper frame in place.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Yes, the slide pins hold the caliper to the bracket. The noise sounds like metal
stress. If the pins cause side to side movement when on the brake, that can
cause it. I still have not gotten to the store to get new pins... It's an issue with
the caliper, that's almost certain.

Can also be the pads moving, the slots may need lubed. I will apply some anti-seize
to those as well.

I read one instance where they greased the back of the pads on the piston side, where
it hits the pads, and that stopped it, but came back in two days...

They ended up swapping the positions of the inboard and outboard pads, and they stopped creaking.
He had assumed the pad with the shim was the inboard pad, most people do. I will be checking
that as well.

Hopefully will test these things out this weekend...

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 04-26-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:41 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Okay, so I looked at mine about 10 minutes ago (1508 EST), and I think I know what the
noise is. On each pad, top and bottom, there are hooks on them, that tension the
pads, so that when you go off brake, these springs back the pads off. My caliper
had about 1/8th" of slide, it sat for a week. So, I was able to flip open the caliper
easily, and the pads popped outward on both sides.

BMW has a similar setup on their brakes; the pads have two holes on each end, and a small
metal bar, like a micro sway-bar, spans across and goes into the holes on each side, that keeps
tension on the pads away from the rotor.

Oh, and both my pads, both sides, have shims.

I also have dual plunger calipers, so I guess that't the standard on all Gen5 Mustangs. I did put
some anti-seize on the back of the plunger side pad, and a layer on the plunger heads.
I also put some in the brackets, where they slide. I did not to the driver side... The slide pins
were fine, no play in them either.

I think the noise is those spring hooks scraping on the caliper bracket, or just making
the noise themselves as they compress when you put the brakes on, I can bend them
to test that, but will wait and see now how long it takes for the creaking to come back.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Nope, noise is still there, same as it was before...
Old 04-29-2018, 07:16 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure we don't have a vacuum pump? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the pedal linkage on the engine side of the firewall, because I can have my foot hard against the pedal and then still ever so slightly press harder and it creaks, so I know there's no motion in the brake pads it's just increasing the pressure. Not sure if that's the same as yours
Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Only diesel cars need a vacuum pump for brakes, because they don't
produce enough vacuum. My Silverado has a brake booster:

I have nothing like it on my Mustang, not anywhere. OLDER cars ued electric ones we're talking late 80s, mid 90s.

No, the noise on mine is definitely from the front right caliper.

You can ADD a vacuum pump (brake booster), but they don't come with one.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:13 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

I have the creaking noise in my right front caliper. Will be looking into it in the next few days.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:49 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevsgt
Are you sure we don't have a vacuum pump? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the pedal linkage on the engine side of the firewall, because I can have my foot hard against the pedal and then still ever so slightly press harder and it creaks, so I know there's no motion in the brake pads it's just increasing the pressure. Not sure if that's the same as yours
That creaking you are experiencing I believe is coming from the pivot bushing on the brake pedal. There is no vacuum pump on the mustang like 08 stated.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise from brake caliper or brake booster (not vacuum pump)?