4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Front end issues. Help please

Old 04-27-2018, 07:43 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Default Front end issues. Help please

Long stort short i have an 03 mustag gt convertible and this thing is eating front tires horribly. Im talking 2 months time.

front end is tight, i had to replace the balljoints both sides, inner and outer tier rods were replaces both sides, and then a wheel bearing went so i replace both of those. I had it aligned 2 weeks ago with brand spanking new tires and the insides, specifically the passenger side is eating up on the inside and outside. The outside is so bad its contacting the tops of the lettering on the sidewalls.

any suggestions? Please im loosing my mind and money in tires.

i have checked other parts. Coil springs aren't broken anywhere the struts seems good, and the sway bar end links seem to be ok.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you're wearing the outside of your tires so bad that it's contacting the top of the lettering on the sidewalls then that thing has to be going down the road with the tire splayed out looking like Lulu's slippers.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Lmao. You can see that they are bowed in which i could see the inside of the tires being chewed up which makes me wonder how the hell the outside is wearing like that
Old 04-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Did you get a printout of the alignment, confirming that the car was in spec?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:36 AM
jasons03gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Did you get a printout of the alignment, confirming that the car was in spec?
yes he called me back to show me the computer and my toe was out severly as i replace the inner and outer tie rod. Then i got a printout showing everything was back in specs.

i just dont understand why its coming back out of alignment and my steering wheel shakes aweful at times
Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Given all the stuff you've replaced - in particular the inner and outer tie rods, makes me wonder if there is some slack in the steering rack. Also worth considering are the A-arm bushings, if those are toast then that can cause stuff to move around.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have them recheck the alignment by putting your car on the rack and getting a fresh print out (not the one they got originally). It should not have between the original alignment and the recheck.

If it has, you have loose suspension/steering nuts/bolts that won't move by hand but can/will move when you're driving.

That's the only way I can see you wearing out both the inside AND outside of your tire.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:08 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Typically, low tire pressure will wear out the inside and outside of the tire. Is that correct?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:32 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

To the extreme he is talking about he has to have something slap *** worn out or busted in his front end. Unless he is running the tires flat I can't see how he'd get the kind of wear he is describing.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I can't believe an alignment shop worth it's salt didn't find or see anything wrong besides toe when a customer comes in complaining of something like this. Toe is only going to affect one side or the other. They should have been thinking money pit and checked everything. Take it to a decent shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end issues. Help please