Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
Toast Bunny

Default Seat swap

I am confused by a lot of contradicting information with swapping seats.
I have a 07 stage 3 Roush, I'm looking to swap out the Roush seats, but can't get any solid info on what needs to be done.
I'm pretty sure they don't have the built in air bags, but I know there is an air bag sensor under the seat.
My question is do I need to put in a resistor to bypass the sensor?
Do I need to transer anything else from the old seat? Air bag module (black box)
Air bladder in passenger seat?
Seat position sensor?
Just looking for some reliable info from people who have done this swap.
Thanks so much.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

CAUTION! If you want to replace your factory seats and they are equipped with internal airbags.
Consider the following. If you remove your seats with internal airbags it will leave a light on the dash which
could cause the remaining airbags in the vehicle to not deploy in the case of an accident. Therefore many
people who remove their factory airbag equipped seats wire in a resistor to the pigtail below the seat.
This fools the vehicle to believe the seats haven't been removed (eliminating the concern of remaining
airbags deploying). With that said, it is also against the law to tamper with airbags or safety equipment
within a vehicle.
Keep in mind, when you go with aftermarket seating in your Mustang the existing seat tracks will not
work. You will need to purchase pre-fabricated tracks offered from the aftermarket seat manufacturer, have
custom seat brackets made, or fabricate your own setup to make to seats fit securely in the car. That said,
many manufacturers offer these tracks along with the seats themselves.

When you replace your front seats for a set of aftermarket seats you will need to also replace the seat brackets.
A set of aftermarket brackets will be needed to properly secure your new seats into place and keep them there in
case of a crash.
Found that with a simple search on Yahoo.

Found this (air bag resister) with a simple search on Yahoo:
http://www.users.on.net/~quozl/PDF/A...or%20Guide.pdf

You say you get conflicting data, can't find it, but you didn't research it right, or thoroughly,
because I found all of it.

You have a lot more work to do than just as swap, if they are not designed for the car.

The air-bag module HAS to stay with the car, for the wheel and passenger side air-bags.

The air bladder is a comfort option, that's up to you, and if it will fit into the seat you are
getting.

You’ll also want to consider if you want reclining or fixed back seats. Fixed back seats are
your lightest option, but are also the least friendly for driving on normal roads/long distances.

Also found with Yahoo, as you mentioned going with these:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/corbe...ang-parts.html
They also have the brackets for $218 more...

SO, how did I find this, and you could not?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Toast Bunny

Thanks for the info. The contradicting info is Roush tells me they juat replaced the seat covers but are not sure if the 07's have seat airbags. 3 major sites that sell the seats told me the 05-07 don't have seat air bags but sell the relay for the air bag light. Another place told me all 05-09 have airbags earlier years it was an option. If the roush seats are reapolsered I can't find any info if mine are equipped with them.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:14 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Not sure when they used them, but my '08 has seat air-bags, and there will be a
tag flap on the seat bolster facing the doors that say "Air Bag." If I were to buy
covers, I need ones made for the seat air-bags so they rip through the cover when
if they deploy. The seat covers may also have a tag, and will say air bag compatible.

It may have been an option before 2008.

IF the Roush are just covers, and there is no tag for the Air Bag, then those seats do not have
them. SO, then you have one less thing to worry about when swapping seats.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 05-23-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Toast Bunny

Thank you, that helps a lot. I don't have that tag.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:34 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Who needs airbags...

Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 PM
Toast Bunny

🙂 I'm thrilled to have airbags, drivd my 89 for 17 years with out them, this is my first car with them.
im trying not mess it up. 🙂
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

I work in collision. So I was being mostly sarcastic. Glad your head is in the right place.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:47 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Toast Bunny
Thanks for the info. The contradicting info is Roush tells me they juat replaced the seat covers but are not sure if the 07's have seat airbags. 3 major sites that sell the seats told me the 05-07 don't have seat air bags but sell the relay for the air bag light. Another place told me all 05-09 have airbags earlier years it was an option. If the roush seats are reapolsered I can't find any info if mine are equipped with them.
My '07 doesn't. You'll still get the idiot light because of the passenger occupancy sensor under the passenger seat and in my case because the car couldn't sense the position of the electric driver's seat.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Toast Bunny

Did you not transfer the sensor from the original seats for a reason?
Since your light comes on is that where you would use the resistor to trick the sensor?
I don't have power passenger seats if that makes any difference.

Quick Reply: Seat swap