Washington Regional Chapter Chapter President: 08blackoutstang

WA state emissions testing ending?

Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Ron F

Default WA state emissions testing ending?

Ive seen the old articles that WA st emissions testing (what a money grab!) might end in 2019 or 2020. Articles dated 2011-2013. Anyone know if this is true?

Reason I ask is, whether I go with shorty headers and cat delete (put cats back on for emissions) or just go Long tube headers.

Fairly new mustang owner in Puyallup. (my first was a 1969 Coupe)
Old 05-30-2018, 05:25 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I heard the same thing for PA, but it's not an END, just an END to the current method of
testing. All new machines will be coming out. It's another money grab for the states,
because you HAVE to buy their emissions machines. I think it's going to be once
every so many years now, because the emissions controls on cars are so spot on.
in fact, the failure rate is now below 3 percent according to PennDOT. Plus there
are still counties that do not require emissions, it's not a all in state, and it's also not
fair those who have to make the yearly trip. All it is now, is a money maker for shops,
because cars today meed such high FEDERAL levels, and there are no federal tests,
so why should there be state tests. SO, there is also talk of ending emissions tests
in PA, and exempting cars that are > 20 years old. We'll see what happens...
Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 AM
Ron F

Our emissions testing is and has been every 2 years. My car is due next year as my tags are due next month, June.

I may still go with shorty headers and H pipe for some low torque(?) for my gears and keep the stock just in case...
Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 AM
karmakat357

Wink Yes, Washington is 'supposed' to still be ending the program.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/vehic...y-the-wayside/

Here is some info that I found as I came across your post as I was also trying to get this question answered.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:05 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The thing is, there is really no reason to be EM testing these new cars. It makes absolutely NO
sense, that they will be moving up the exempt years range up, but still testing NEW cars. The cars
to the 1999s are the ones that have higher emissions in the first place. SO, here in PA, they are
supposed to move the exemption to 1985, so anything made in 1985 and down won't be required
to be tested. Okay, so now these cars, people will cut the cats out, do whatever they want to
them to double their emissions output; but test a 2015 PZEV. Yeah, that makes a whole lot
of sense. Already, here in PA, there are counties that do not require emissions, so people do
mod their cars, then drive around polluting my air, then go home. The places are supposed to
do visuals, they don't...

All it is, is a money maker for the states, because the new cars do not output enough emissions to
even BOTHER to test. The only reason new cars fail, is bad sensors or failed emissions control
devices. You can have a bad O2 sensor, and STILL be below the emissions levels, but they will
fail you anyway, just because the CEL is on, with a DTC for it. Does not matter that the car's
emissions readings are still withing specification, the car must fail with a CEL on, OH, unless you
live in a county that is exempt... Then they wonder why people by a .25 acre dump in an exempt
county, drive a wooden stake in the ground, slap mail box on it, and register ALL their family's
cars to to it. Oh yes, they do it, I have spoken to many that do. Legalized extortion and
racketeering is what the emissions program is.