Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.

Need Advice For S550 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 AM
KRex1313

Default Need Advice For S550 Tires

I have a 2017 GT and am daily driving it. I had an SUV but decided to sell so the GT will also be my DD in the winter. I live near Philly so winter means one day it's dry, the next we have 3-5 inches on the ground, followed by a week of slush. I'm trying to decide if I should get a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires or if I should put really good all-season on my current wheels and use them year-long. Currently, I have the Pirelli Nero Zero on the 19" blackout package wheels and I'm underwhelmed by them in the summer, so I know they aren't going to be my favorite things come winter time. Can anyone recommend solid all-season tires that would do the job or am I better off with a dedicated set? Thanks in adavance!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I always use a set of dedicated winter wheels, much easier to swap out then taking it
to a shop to PAY to have someone dismount, and mount the winter tires. Then, going
back to dismount the winter tires to mount the all season, thus wasting time and money.

I go with a cheap set of steelies if I can find them. Else, you find someone on-line selling
a set of wheels for $120, and use those rims for winter. That's what I do... I can find all
kind of 16" stock 'stang wheels for $120 on-line. Doesn't matter, you just put the tire on
that matches the overall size of your 19" wheel. The more rim you have, the less
sidewall on the tire you have, is all.

I know two people that put a studded set on their cars, and run till April, sometimes
May due to the weather we get here... Legally, they're supposed to come off in March.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:52 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I would also get a set of winter wheels/tires. I have used blizzaks the last few years and they work well.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Ezrockn

I also need some advice on tires and rims. I have a 2019 GT with the performance level 2 package and it has summer only tires with the rear tire being 11" and the fronts being 10.5". I'm trying to figure out putting on narrower tires and rims. Leaving the same rims on and just changing the tires out. I've been considering narrower rims and tires as the current setup sits out past the fenders lets say approx. 2". I like the look of the wider tires and stance but I only drive this car under dry conditions. Fearing that in rain and dirty road conditions that it will throw crap all over the car from the wider wheels. Considering narrower wheels with all season tires but worried that it would change the current look. Not sure really what direction to go. I love the look that the car currently has especially with the wider stance. But unsure if I'd like the narrower stance.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 AM
WylieC

Originally Posted by Ezrockn
I also need some advice on tires and rims. I have a 2019 GT with the performance level 2 package and it has summer only tires with the rear tire being 11" and the fronts being 10.5". I'm trying to figure out putting on narrower tires and rims. Leaving the same rims on and just changing the tires out. I've been considering narrower rims and tires as the current setup sits out past the fenders lets say approx. 2". I like the look of the wider tires and stance but I only drive this car under dry conditions. Fearing that in rain and dirty road conditions that it will throw crap all over the car from the wider wheels. Considering narrower wheels with all season tires but worried that it would change the current look. Not sure really what direction to go. I love the look that the car currently has especially with the wider stance. But unsure if I'd like the narrower stance.
I think I would worry less about the look, and more about staying on the road and being able to move and stop. Winter is only a couple of months.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Fly2High

Default 2019 GT PP2 winter rims and tires also

I too have just purchased a 2019 Mustang GT with PP2. I cannot find what size rim (diameter, width and offset) as well as which tire size to use. Since I cannot find anyone who has posted what works I started here and will have questions in the end.

first I looked up the stock rims and tires. All around the PP2 uses 305/30R19. The from has 19”x10.5” rims with a 24mm positive offset and the rear has 19”x11” rims with 48 positive offset. Clearly this set of rims was never meant to have snow tires.

i chatted with Ford customer service who suggested I talk to the dealer. The dealer also cannot provide this data for me.

in looking online, a Mustang GT with regular brakes can use 18”x8” rims with 235/50R18 winter tires all around. Unfortunately with the 15” Brembo brakes that PP1 and PP2 both use, that tire will never fit.

the best hat I could do is to determine various sizes of rum and tire combinations and see how their diameters compare to stock. One difference between PP1 and PP2 is their rim offset. I do not recall what the PP1 offset is ( somewhere in the 30-40mm off the top of my head) while the PP2 has what I listed above. Hey have the same brakes but place the tires on the ground differently or use different suspension components that warrant different offset to get the centerline in the right place.

my first question is if I choose a smaller width rim, should I keep the offset the same? I think I should keep the center of the smaller tires in the same place as the OEM tires.

I have read that dropping 1” or 2” is a good thing for tires that will face snow. Using this and the stock suggestions, I made a spreadsheet

i doubled the thickness in mm and added the rims diameter, in mm, to get the final diameter. I determined circumference by multiplying it by Pi.

To me, for the front, using either 19”x8” or 19”x 8.5” rims with 24mm offset with 235/40R19 would be pretty close to stock diameter(slightly larger). From the charts online, a 19”x9” could also fit this tire.. A 19”x9” or a 19”x9.5 could also fit 255/35R19 or 265/35R19, the former slightly smaller in diameter and the latter slightly larger. We are only talking a diameter diff of 2-4 mm.

For the rear, the same rims and tires will work but I am thinking I will need the rims to have a 48mm offset. This will mean no front to back rotations which is fine.

It has been posted online in articles that smaller tires do better in snow so smaller would help. These sizes do have limited availability in winter tires but they do exist.

Can anyone tell me if my reasoning is sound?
Do I need to keep the stock offset?
Has anyone used these sizes and been successful?
what tires and rims have you used on a PP2 successfully in winter?

already I find the Cup 2 to be slick in light rain. When the temps get down to below the 50’s, they will get hard and slick even when dry. I really could use some help.

thank you all,
Frank
Old 09-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Fly2High

One more thing, should I go staggered or, like stock, keep the same tire width all around?