Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Weird noise coming from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Stevethe11th

Exclamation Weird noise coming from the rear

I just got a 2011 mustang v6 manual with about 102k miles on it and every time I go in excess of 80 miles per hour in 3rd gear after I come down there is a high pitch whine that I think comes from the diff. It almost sounds like something is lose. Could I be shredding a gear in my diff or could this be from the driveshaft which I have heard isn't very reliable. I do drive it kind of hard. I do some first gear pulls at stop lights and such but nothing like tracking it.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Stevethe11th

The previous owner had a full exhaust except headers put in and a bbk cai and maybe a tune but I don't think so.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

wonder if the fluid's ever been changed. Supposed to change every 60K
Old 07-25-2018, 03:20 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

So, it does that at 80, in 3rd? How about at 80 while 4th, 5th, 6th? If it's only in
3rd gear, it's not the differential, it's the trans. The drive shaft and diff are rotating at
the same speeds at 80, no matter what gear you are in. So, if you are going 80
and you do not hear the noise in 4th, 5th, or 6th, then it's the transmission's 3rd
gear yelling "Ahhhh, don't go any faster, ahhhhhh!!!"

Gear oil in DIFF is said only to be changed if it became submerged under water, but
change it anyway at 60,000 mile intervals.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Stevethe11th

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
So, it does that at 80, in 3rd? How about at 80 while 4th, 5th, 6th? If it's only in
3rd gear, it's not the differential, it's the trans. The drive shaft and diff are rotating at
and you do not hear the noise in 4th, 5th, or 6th, then it's the transmission's 3rd

Gear oil in DIFF is said only to be changed if it became submerged under water, but
Well I’m in 3rd because I’m driving hard. I can hit the limiter in 3rd and can get there faster in 3rd than in 4th so that’s why.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Stevethe11th

Originally Posted by GT Nate
wonder if the fluid's ever been changed. Supposed to change every 60K
How would I check? Or would I just have to change it?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:04 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevethe11th

Well I’m in 3rd because I’m driving hard. I can hit the limiter in 3rd and can get there faster in 3rd than in 4th so that’s why.
I didn't ask WHY you were doing 80 in 3rd gear....

I asked if it does it at 80, in OTHER gears, so let's try this AGAIN:

Originally Posted by Me

Okay, so WHERE oh WHERE in that do I ask WHY you were going 80 in 3rd? I
was trying to help you diagnose TRANS or DIFF, and you totally blew that off, and
and gave me an answer I didn't ask for... Then also answered the diff oil change
deal, which was also totally ignored.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 PM
Stevethe11th

I didn't ask WHY you were doing 80 in 3rd gear....

I asked if it does it at 80, in OTHER gears, so let's try this AGAIN:

Okay, so WHERE oh WHERE in that do I ask WHY you were going 80 in 3rd? I
was trying to help you diagnose TRANS or DIFF, and you totally blew that off, and
and gave me an answer I didn't ask for... Then also answered the diff oil change
deal, which was also totally ignored.
I said that because I don't really know if it happens in any other gear and I explained why. I only was only in fourth once going that speed and I think it still did it. I didn't say anything about the diff oil because someone else had already commented about it. Sorry if that pissed you off. I'm just trying to get whatever help I can receive. If you would like to explain how I can check if the diff oil needs to be changed, be my guest.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Kinda sounds like coast whine in the differential, but would need to check the other gears as coast whine would be in all gears. A fluid change with premium fluid might help with coast whine.

Last edited by rls82959; 07-26-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Stevethe11th

Originally Posted by rls82959
Kinda sounds like coast whine in the differential, but would need to check the other gears as coast whine would be in all gears. A fluid change with premium fluid might help with coast whine.
I don’t think it’s coast whine, I know what the sounds like and this whine I hear is much higher pitch.

Quick Reply: Weird noise coming from the rear