Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Keep blowing turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 AM
Xela.zue

Default Keep blowing turn signal switch

Hi all-

I’m having an issue with my 65’ coupe where I keep blowing the turn signal switch and I can’t seem to figure out why. The first time I noticed something was wrong, the right taillight was out. I wiggled the plug socket from the housing in the trunk and it seemed to fix the issue but unfortunately happened again soon after. I tried the same remedy again but it didn’t work and when I returned to the drivers seat I could see a trail of smoke in the interior coming from the steering column. Like a dummy I addressed it by replacing the TS switch and ended up burning the new one instantly. The next thing I did was replace the taillight housing and the connection wiring. I went from the plug socket to the two wire individual socket. That along with a new ts switch seemed to solve the problem, for a while. Since then I’ve burned through two more switches and have now ordered a third. Before I install it I want to track the problem down and address it correctly.

Is it a bad tail light harness? Bad ground? Or a short? How do I find it?

After i replaced the TS switch the last two times, all was well for a few months. Both brake lights worked and so did the turn signals. A recurring sign I’ve seen, when things are about to fail, is the right turn signal along with the right brake like will stop working followed by a slow down with the left blinker, and finally poof smoke from the steering wheel area.

i read on another forum it could be the ts switches could be contacting the metal in the steering column and causing a short. My plan is to use duct tape and create a cushion on the new switch, but anyone have any other ideas?

ive attached a pic of the disassembled ts switch where you can see what is shorting. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I have had nothing but bad luck with every replacement TS switch I've used. I'm on my third now, and having horn issues. I've bought from different vendors, but the products look the same to me. I am almost ready to install a totally separate horn button somewhere to just work around switch issues.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:10 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Since the spring contact shows signs of high current, I would suspect that the org/blu wire has the insulation stripped off inside the steering column. It may only make contact when the wheel is turned but that wire only feeds the rear turn and brake signal on the right side.