General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car shuts off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:01 PM
lpgolf04

Default car shuts off randomly

Hey y’all. So this has been an issue on my car for 4+ months now. It’s been to multiple mechanics, including Ford, with no solution. Hoping someone here can help.

2012 V6. Back in June it started to just shut off. Driving or idling. It’s not losing power. The radio doesn’t reset and there’s no sign that it’s a battery/alternator issue. It’s just as if you’ve turned the car off. Sometimes it will start right back up and be fine for a bit and then do it again. Other times it will turnover and then just die out again.

Throttle led body issues are known on some models of 11-12 V6s. These symptoms are exactly inline with the TB issues. Mine VIN didn’t fall into the problem cars but replaced it anyways and it still continues to have the issue.

Ive has it at Ford and they said it was my ECU and that it was “fried” so they replaced it. But again, no fix. I’ve had it at an electrical shop for about 2 months now and he can’t find anything at all.

To me, it’s as if there’s too much stress on the engine and it’s overloading and just shutting down. There are times where I would have the car on, turn the AC on and shuts down right away. Turn AC off, car starts and runs fine. If I leave the AC on after it shuts down and try to start it, it will start and die right away. doesnt seem to be the AC compressor because like I said, it will shut down even when I don’t have the AC on. Pulley runs free and fine and the belt shows no signs of wear.

Hoping someone one has some insight on this. Very frustrating not being able to drive your car for 4+ months.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Maybe the new TB that was installed is a defective unit. It's probably not inexpensive but maybe consider ordering a new OEM TB? Are you 100% sure it was a new (updated) TB they put in?
Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I had a car that did that once, was a loose wire on the coil pack.

Could be the shut down switch in the trunk...
Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I can't help you but in the boating world when the motor shuts off for no reason it's usually the ignition switch. Just giving you more things to think about
Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 AM
lpgolf04

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Maybe the new TB that was installed is a defective unit. It's probably not inexpensive but maybe consider ordering a new OEM TB? Are you 100% sure it was a new (updated) TB they put in?

ive actually tried 2 TBs. one from Rock Auto. Then ordered a Ford one off eBay.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

I had a car that did this once as well, turn ed out the Key Fob wasn't programmed correctly and the car thought I was stealing it and would shut itself off. Had to have the Key Fob reprogrammed.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Rare in today's cars but cavitation of the fuel pump and/or vapor lock in the fuel line somewhere. Cavitation is from air getting into the fuel line or pump so you end up with bubbles in the fuel or not enough pressure to drive the car. Trying to restart it right away fails because the bubbles are still present or the pressure is still too low.

Vapor lock used to occur in carburetor vehicles and early EFI system that ran low pressure pumps. Fuel lines run too close to exhaust or not insulated well enough in the engine bay would get hot enough to vaporize the fuel in them before it reached the carb or injector, this basically caused the engine to stall and not restart until the fuel cooled down and turned back into a liquid.

Any thing change before you started to have issues with it shutting down?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
I had a car that did that once, was a loose wire on the coil pack.

Could be the shut down switch in the trunk...
The inertia switch in the trunk is more likely than vapor lock and probably more than caviation too
Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM
lpgolf04

Originally Posted by Derf00
Rare in today's cars but cavitation of the fuel pump and/or vapor lock in the fuel line somewhere. Cavitation is from air getting into the fuel line or pump so you end up with bubbles in the fuel or not enough pressure to drive the car. Trying to restart it right away fails because the bubbles are still present or the pressure is still too low.

Vapor lock used to occur in carburetor vehicles and early EFI system that ran low pressure pumps. Fuel lines run too close to exhaust or not insulated well enough in the engine bay would get hot enough to vaporize the fuel in them before it reached the carb or injector, this basically caused the engine to stall and not restart until the fuel cooled down and turned back into a liquid.

Any thing change before you started to have issues with it shutting down?

the only thing that changed were my lowering springs. Had them put on May 19th and the issues started happening June 8th
Old 10-09-2018, 05:35 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Well, there's a clue. It sounds like a loose connection and my bet is that it got loose when the springs were done. That's where I'd look.

Quick Reply: car shuts off randomly